Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Best headphones for professional quality recording/stopping headphone overspill into the mic

NeilKenSingerNeilKenSinger 2.0 PRO Posts: 125
I've got a Boss digital multitrack studio, Rode condenser mic (with pop shield), and generally use a Shure SM58 for live work. Of course when recording vocals, I use headphones but I noticed the Rode condenser mic even picks up some of the music coming out of the headphones, which overspills into the vocal track I'm recording. Is this because I need to use better headphones when recording? I've heard that it's best to use closed back headphones when recording to eliminate this overspill, but wasn't sure, and that it's best to use open back headphones for mixing because they have a better overall sound quality than closed back ones.

This leads me to my next question: what are the best brands/models of studio pro quality headphones for recording and mixing a song? Preferably around the $100 mark or less. Thanks.

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    edited August 2018
    The best IMHO are the ULTRASONE PRO 900i's, but they are over your budget.
    You want something closed back that fits completely over your ear to seal in the sound, and just as importantly, you want some with a flat response that aren't going to colour the sound.
    I am currently running Audio-Technica headphones that I got on sale. They are pretty good, but they have a tad too much added bass response to them, so I am saving for the UltraSones :+1:
  • ThomasKuThomasKu 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    edited August 2018
    @NeilKenSinger Maybe a good compromise for use for mixing AND recording are the AKG K271 MKII
    ( https://www.thomann.de/at/akg_k271_mkii.htm ), they are a studio classic but though they may be not as much "sealed" as you're maybe looking for (especially if you like to have quite loud playback and monitoring, you'll probably still hear a little bit of the playback elements during your singing pauses, but if you're not going to do quite heavy fx and cutting and so on, most of the time this isn't so problematic. I've often seen people recording vocals with those).
    Or one of the beyerdynamic DT 770 (especially the DT 770 M seems to have a quite good isolation https://www.thomann.de/at/beyerdynamic_dt770m_monitorkopfhoerer.htm ) => also studio classics.

For having very good isolation I can recommend you this pair ( https://www.extremeheadphones.com/product-page/ex25-plus => I use the previous model, but only one ear covered, the other side muted and shoved back to behind my ears, so that I can hear the mix of room sound and monitoring without feeling too isolated ), but even though there's this new version, I think, they aren't so well suited for mixing..
  • stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    I use sennheiser HD 280 PRO headphones. They work great. I also use a rhode nt1a and SM58. No problems with spill.