Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Singing Beginner Need Advice [Yawning]

Hey guys, I need advice. In the past year I've begun to FINALLY learn how to sing "better". I'm 31 years old, but yeah I'm still terrible. Here's the situation:

I constantly yawn when I sing, and when I yawn, my eyes water up. The same thing happens when I read out loud or if I talk a lot. I've been like this since I was a very very young child, it's just been a part of my life. Everyone says it's because I'm not breathing enough, but I take deep breaths all the time, never fails.

I have noticed that when I have to force more air out for a song I don't yawn as often, if at all. A good example of this is Disturbed's "The Sound of Silence". On queue, every single time, I yawn at the start of the song, but about mid way through, I don't because I'm singing heavier.

This leads to another issue: my range is terrible, or Disturbed's range is insane. I just can't hit the deep notes or the very high notes, only mid range. Additionally, I have post nasal drip and my sinuses constantly make me sniffle or snort, which again is terrible for singing. I want to be much better, but ffs I am a total mess. Any advice would be amazing.

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @ericshawn So I yawn a ton too. I have found that I do this because my lung capacity sucks. I have recently been doing more cardio exercise and this seems to help a lot. I have also started some mild strength training and have been doing a lot of sit ups to work on my core muscles. The first three months or so of this didn't really produce many results but as I got stronger the yawning started to gradually diminish. If I am moving to a more difficult level in my singing as soon as I start to work harder the yawning comes back, until I gain enough stamina for my lungs to handle it again. I'm sorry I don't have a quick fix for you but I think if you work on things like stamina and breathing the yawning issue should abate.

Also one other thing, proper breathing is imperative for singing, and pretty much any kind of physical activity. This might help with your breathing for singing to get you going in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Sounds like you might be suffering from significant allergies...
    or if you're like me and are near an area with forest fires dumping smoke everywhere and rendering your air akin to Beijing.
    I'd start by tackling the allergies first, then once that is resolved, start taking focus on physical health via better nutrition/hydration and exercise. The body is a very complex system of interdependent systems, so we have to take a more holistic approach :+1:
    (Search Health and Allergies here on the forum and/or youtube)