Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Acid reflux damaged my voice, help!

Hey guys, I’ve just subscribed to this forum and I hope you can help me with this issue. During my life i?ve had acid reflux (LPR) twice. The first time was the last January but because I wasn’t a singer yet I just ignored it and i used to cough really hard after eating. Then i took a medicine and it went away. When i started KTVA in July i noticed that there was something strange in my voice: my headvoice is 100% ok but my chest voice is strange. When I sing for example the LAH vowel sometimes when i sustain the note a sort of vocal fry (which i never used) comes out instead of a clean sound and this thing goes worse when i try to sing my lowest notes. When the reflux came back in July I red the book from Dr. Fuhrman that Ken suggests and i compleately changed my diet but the “fry” is still there. So here is the question: what should i do? Could you please suggest me exercises or other stuff to do? Because right now and I don’t have any idea of what I should do: if rest for 3-4 days or keep doing the course or what. I’m sorry for the long post but this is getting frustrating and you guys are my last hope.

Comments

• How long have you had the course? and what volume are you on in the course?

Peace, Tony
  • Luigi19Luigi19 2.0 PRO Posts: 27
    I’ve had the course since the beginning of july and i am doing volume 2
  • You need to get in touch with KTVA support, and get yourself registered as a student instead of a member. As a student you will have access to much more information, and videos.

Peace, Tony
    Ok I sent the email with the request, what should i do next? Thank you.
  • Wait for their reply, and someone should be a long to answer your question shortly.

I also have acid reflux coupled with post nasal drip. I just stay away from the foods that I know will set it off. Tomatos, green peppers, etc........so if you know what foods effect you that way, stay away from it.

There are diets, medication (both prescribed, and over the counter) that are available.

Someone else here may have more, and better information than what I mentioned so until you get your student confirmation keep checking back for a different answer.

Peace, Tony
    Ok I’will wait, thank you for your advice.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Your fry could also be the result of not properly modifying your vowels. Without hearing what is happening we can't really say for sure. I suggest you submit a basic LAH demo here, so we will have your background information on what it is that you are concerned about.
    Well, I was trying to record a demo to send here but I think it's not necessary anymore. It's weird and I'm still surprised but two days ago I planned to go to a total rest for 3-4 days (no workouts and almost no speaking) and now I watched again all the videos about support and I did the warm up for 30-35 minutes (i think i never spent so much time doing the the warm up, I used to do 5-10 minutes). Then I tried the LAH exercise and the fry it's almost gone (like 90% less the two days ago) so I don't think you'd be able to hear it from the record. I forgot to mention that while I was in total rest I took drops of "Sisymbrium officinale" (without alcohol) because I red that It's good for the vocal cords but I don't really know if it's helping me or not.