Home The Singer's Lobby

I Need Some Advice

Two days ago, I went to a recording studio to make a cover of Beautiful in White by Shane Filan. It was not the first visite. I used to record my own songs before that. But this time, I found some improvements in my voice especially tone color, timbre and texture. However, I listened to my recording and I felt like I was not actually singing at all. I was like, you know, I'm just producing correct notes with my voice. My voice was on exact pitch but emotionless. My vocal coach said that u need to sing from your heart not just with your voice. I admit that I got so nervous while recording my voice. Please help, what can I do to improve my expressions for a song even though I'm not singing out of tune and weak voice. I did't forget to use any vocal techniques. But I sounded like a child reading out the notes on the exact pitch.
Thanks.....................!!!

Comments

• Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @SoeWunna , Its the same with guitar... sometimes our quest for perfection leads us to that sort of thing.
    I would offer that you prepare by really connecting to what the song means to you, and hold that inside as you sing it, thereby allowing an emotional element to creep in. I'm not saying let all the technical stuff go to the wayside, just be more present during your performance.

Its like when you are talking to someone, one person will be riveting and the next... meh.
    Why is that do you suppose?
    Perhaps there is more to communication that the transmission of perfectly enunciated diction?
    YOU BET THERE IS!
    You are telling a story... BE the story, take your audience on a journey with you.

Cheers,

Phillip
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @SoeWunna In Aikido, before you are black belt you go through all of the basic katas (fundamental motions) over and over again until you master them. Then the day comes when you know all of the fundamental moves and you apply to get your black belt. When that happens you are asked to disregard all that you have learned and simply fight. This is rather difficult for people to get because you no longer go through rehearsed routines now you are asked to block real punches coming at full speed from many directions. This forces new understandings about how to move and react/act. You still have your base under you, but now you are asked to work in real word situations, and you have to adapt what you know. The goal was always to fight but you have to get the foundations in place before you can get to the art of fighting.

The goal always for KTVA is for us to sing. We build the fundamentals, so that when the day comes we can free ourselves to express ourselves in singing.

Maybe this can help :)
  • SoeWunnaSoeWunna 2.0 PRO Posts: 30
    I'd like sincerely thank to both @Furious_Phil and @HuduVudu .