Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

Course and teachers face to face

Is that course really help? Cuz I hear that if someone want to learn singing, need a teacher (like face to face), cuz all voices need individual and diffrent exercises... that some can improve my voice and some can destroy...

Is it truth? And how this course is diffrent than other (courses) in web, in the world?

Thanks, Lyzzie :smiley:

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @Lyzzie the fundamentals of any endeavor are usually the same. Think of the Karate Kid. The best scene in the movie is when Mr. Miyagi has Daniel wash his car in a certain way and paint his house in a certain way. The important point that wasn't emphasized here was that Mr. Miyagi didn't really interact with Daniel other than to give him these tasks that should be done in a certain manner. So after a LOT of car washing and painting and various other menial tasks, Daniel confronts Mr. Miyagi and demands to know why he is doing these things. The scene shows that Daniel was learning the fundamentals by just doing the exercises the Mr Miyage had given. Daniel could have been replaced by any other student or could have been in a class or even online in this day and age and could have done and understood what was happening. In other words the result would have been the same. The exercises are what taught Daniel the fundamentals.

For almost all of us that are starting with KTVA, we have either a limited understanding of singing or in my case no I idea of how to sing. For most of us we THINK we know what singing is, we think it is easy. "not everything is as seems" - Mr. Miyagi. I had a conversation with my wife two nights ago. I had done some recording to try to figure out how to use a mic that I had gotten. As a lark I recorded a song I know. I was excited about my tone and timbre and that I was hitting notes correctly. I played it for her. She wrinkled up her nose, and gave me a kind of shocked look. I said, can't you hear the progress here and here and here. She said, it doesn't sound good. I said, you are right it doesn't, the timing was off I couldn't hear my voice and other issues that were affecting the sound. It wasn't excuses I am going to work on those things. She later confided that after all the time that I have been working on the course (lul a whole seven months) why couldn't I sing like a rockstar. She also said that she was shocked at the amount of things I need to know to become proficient. I have a saying that I use all of the time that sums this up perfectly "the easiest thing in the world to do, is that which you don't understand".

You can get a personal instructor to go through the fundamentals. Certainly Ken has private tutoring lessons, but why would you when all he is going to say in the private tutoring is what he is going to say in the course. The course has much much more information, and is a fraction of the cost of tutoring if taken in it's totality. The time and place for individual mentoring comes much much later. Very, very advanced students will have questions that are unique and challenging for the teacher. That is when individual mentoring makes sense.

This course is blend of classic opera training within the scope of modern music. Every music instructor has their own approach to how to teach a student. That is their prerogative. Some of these approaches work well and many students succeed, some of these approaches fail and many students fail. There is a lot of responsibility of students to do the work and that is no reflection on the teacher, but across the board there should be more success than failure if the teacher is good. I think Ken says it best, he can demonstrate his method by singing and he has students demonstrate his method by their singing. There are ways to game this, and some coaches will do this so you have to discern what is true and what is not. Ultimately you will have to make a decision and follow through with it. It's success or failure depends on you.

Hope that helps. :)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    How many local, face-to-face teachers do you have access to that have even a fraction of the knowledge to teach you that Ken does? There are a lot of home singing courses that are a total waste of money. Ken's course works. Plain and simple. If you don't do your part, then it won't work for you. It works great for me.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited October 2018
    @Lyzzie how are you?
    By experience i can tell you I was trying to find for years something that gave me real info, I took lessons with different teachers and could never understand what they were looking for, yes i did improve, but wanted to understand, so I started buying books and programs to understand better, i did this for a loooong time, and when I found Ken´s videos, I just knew he had it, from the moment i heard him sing and talk about it, when i purchased the program, I realized I knew very little about singing, even with all the books and programs I had purchased before, and till now I can tell you I haven´t found another teacher with more knowledge than him, its as simple as that, this was in January 2012 and counting :)
  • LyzzieLyzzie 2.0 PRO Posts: 59
    Thanks you all for answer (and contained in them explanations) :smiley: