Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Black Dog sung by a newbi baritone

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to this whole forum stuff, I've been singing on and off since I was a kid, but just now am I trying to get real about singing (I'm 21 atm).
I do must of my singing in the shower but I had a couple lessons with a vocal coach last year which helped me get a hang on what vocal range is and a couple of basic stuff but nothing that might help me develope my voice. After I stopped going to the lessons I had to manage my way into discovering my voice and really giving into figuring out things on my own. The thing is that I don't know whether or not what I do works or if I sound good. I realise theres a lot of bias and at times I find it hard to be objective about my voice. I really hope you guys can help me out in pointing out anything you like or don't like about it, or things I can do better.

soundcloud.com/rolando-agueero-perez/black-dog-cover

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Rolando,

good to have you here. I listened to your soundcloud clip. And there are many good things to hear:

- on many parts your pitch is quite well
    - you have already a very pleasant timbre (sometimes it sounds in a kind like George Ezra in his higher register)
    - on most parts the timing is already good

You should absolutely work on your voice. You are on a great starting point. I suggest that you really think about joining the program.

Kind regards,
    Marco
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Agree with Doc your pitch is good and your timbre is nice.

One very irritating thing though is your use of vibrato. You seem to be using it all of the time. I don't know if you are conscious of this or not but makes your voice seem weak or wobbly when clearly that is not the case. I think that if you cleared up just that you would have a very good voice.

Also you might want to work a bit on your timing you missed a couple of lead ins. This is easily corrected by a lot of repetitions of the song paying close attention to the timing.

Hope that that helps :)
  • I felt like I was back in the 60s psychedelic era with all the reverb going on.

That's a pretty big vocal to tackle.It wasn't bad. You seem to have a good sense of pitch, and timing.

Have you thought about joining KTVA? If you get in the course, you could learn to sing that song another octave higher like Plant himself.

Peace, Tony

• GizkaGizka 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    Thank you guys so much for the freedback! I'm currently saving to hopefully buy the course by the time christmas comes around.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Gizka,
    Dear Rolando,

Thank you for the kind recognition. You are really welcome. Even if you are not already enrolled to the program. I think that Tony (@videoace) will agree to that. To be honest: you have a very pleasant voice and I think you could get a lot more out of it. So it's good you are doing some savings.

I'am more than twice of you in age and the best investments I did were always in my own development. The best investments I did were not in a crazy announcements like "Become a guitar rock star in one week" - the best investments in myself told me "If you want it, you can get it. But it will be a hard journey. If you are willing to accept this journey I will show you what to do step by step." - And that is what Kens course is about. If you want learn to sing like he does (and his students do), you should get the course and make it to the goal you want to reach. If you really want it, you will get it. You are at a very good starting point. If you were my son I would say: "Take the chance."!

Kind regards,
    Marco

• GizkaGizka 2.0 PRO Posts: 3
    Thank you Marco, like you said is all about taking the chance and working hard to get it, and since I'm already trying to sing I might as well do it right. I look forward to getting the course and start with the journey. It is a rare thing to find a place where the community is built around helping other people fulfil their dreams, and I'll be glad to be part of it.