Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello from Bs.As. Argentina

pparisipparisi Member Posts: 3
edited October 2012 in INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Hi, sorry for my poor english, my nane is pablo (paul) parisi ,41 is my age, i bought the course vol.1 and 2, 20 days ago, i know that is very few time.
I had taken classes for 6 years with a teacher. I learned open throat technique.
I will apreciate if you can evaluate my voice.
My register in chest voice is D5 and in head voice G5.
My question is : when I record a song and pass the chest voice to head voice is noted that the latter has much less weight, although the volume I get is very good, I leave some examples to listen.

MP3 EXAMPLES

DEMO SONGS EXAMPLES

whitesnake - judgement day

journey - when you love a woman

ac/cd - you shook me all night long

queen - show must go on.

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Hey pparisi,

Great to have you on the forum.  I liked a lot of your demos.  Your tone is pretty good, and I think working volume 1 will open up that throat even more.  When you move into your head voice, you are allowing way too much air to pass through the chords, giving it that breathy, weaker sound.  You have to focus on keeping the tone very bright, using very little air, which will give you the clean tone you are looking for.  Take your time as you work through the program.  Ken does have a few webinars, and a great new dvd designed to work on Head voice.  He does suggest that you work through all 3 programs to build a nice strong chest voice first, then focus on the Head voice.  All the best.
  • pparisipparisi Member Posts: 3
    Thank you sspatrick for you appreciation I find it very useful, my idea of pushing with plenty of air the head voice, was looking for volume and shine.Right now i begin to try to correct that.
  • GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140
    Hi pparisi,

Welcome to the KTVA forum;

I've just listened to songs and have to say that I really like your voice. You've got that really great commercial rock sound that a lot of singers dream of having. Ken's program (and your obvious dedication to singing) is going to make your voice totally amazing!

All the best!
    guevara thank you very much, I've been trying for some time to develop a good tone, but not yet achieved a strong head voice without using a lot of air, I'll start working on that, although I have no very clear as give volume using little air to the head voice.
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278

Hey pparisi

Try a little more volume when working your head voice.  It is a tough concept to grasp at first.  Use little air, still keep the tone bright.  You are doing it better when you are singing an actual song.  Try to keep that feeling.  head voice can feel a lot like falsetto at first, but here is the difference.  With falsetto, you are allowing more air to pass through the vocal folds, giving it that airy or breathy feeling.  With an actual head voice tone, you want more cord closure(keeping the volcal folds cloer together), which allows less air to pass between the folds giving it a clearer bright timbre.  Think more Bruce Dickinson, Axel Rose type tone.  This may help you get it.  It is tough to explain without demonstrating.  Ken has put out 2 webinars on the subject, but they are only available to Enrolled students(students who have bought volumes 1-3).  I hope this explanation helps a little.

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    edited October 2012

Thanks guys for your help and comments, they are sincerely appreciated.

Starting on your D5 you can clearly hear "tearing" where the chest and head voice have not built up enough strength to support or sustain the amount of sound pressure you are expecting of the cords.

Then immediately on the D#5 you completely "flip" and default to a falsetto / mix head voice (mostly falsetto) which uses WAY too much air and will tear down the cords even further.

I emphasize the importance over and over of not building this bridge too fast.

I will emphasize it again.

If you walk into a gym, you wouldn't start out with 2 lb dumbells and then go straight to 20lb's.

You will build up to this.

What you are doing is literally "ripping" apart the cords with too much air and an unsupported unsustainable sound that cannot last.

Scott was correct about building the brightness of the sound but at a MUCH lower volume FIRST until your cords can support it.

He's also right about building ONLY the head voice portion (brightly and even gorwing down into the chest register) however the amount of air you are using will hurt you. Start with less volume and work your way up to this correctly.

THEN you can start to connect with THIS kind of sound pressure but not before.

Again, using less volume (even if you have to connect earlier..around the Bb4 and build chest (which is VERY important) but maintaining consistent sound pressure (volume), killer support and way less air.

Little by little you will feel as though you are "pulling" chest up into your head register when in fact what is happening is you are connecting with the same tone as chest in the head and it fuses together and becomes one long note!

This will seriously help you.

thank you very much for answering quickly, after reading the above, and came to the conclusion that I am misplacing the head voice and what I'm doing is just a falsetto with plenty of air and volume.
    In fact I can hardly I do with low volume.
    I will try to do otherwise trying to hold together the vocal cords. and I will upload the examples.
    should I feel a little more uncomfortable to do it, no?

thanks again., volume 3 bought yesterday I needed, now I can be in the category of enrrolled, they?
  • ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    Comfortable vs uncomfortable and similar emotive imagery is something I always find hard to discuss with other singers, since people tend to have relatively different perceptions of what the feeling is when they are "in the zone" so to speak.

For me the best feeling of vocal release is singing mix/head voice with cord closure (holding back the air) as opposed to falsetto. With that said it most certainly takes a lot more effort to produce the real head voice since you have to get your entire support system activated, whereas falsetto for me feels a lot more lazy and to an extent "easier".
    I personally think the keyword is "relaxed". I'm pretty sure Usain Bolt would tell you that even when he's sprinting at maximum capacity he will be feeling quite relaxed and limber (all is relative of course).

A side-note must be though, that certainly in your first MP3 example it sounds like you are adding some serious edge to the sound via hyper-compression in the 2-3 chest notes before you flip into falsetto. Whether that's on purpose or not I don't know but doing it will certainly take a significantly larger effort to sing than going through the notes "cleanly". I haven't dabbled all that much in this hyper-compression area nor in your top range so I will leave that discussion for the veterans ;)

The one you thing you can definitely count on however, is doing sirens/slider-exercises. When you can slide from those chest C5/D5 into head without any change in the fundamental timbre of your voice - other than the tone becoming lighter of course - then you will know you are on the right track.
    Of course you would probably want to start out with less volume and possibly a few notes lower in the beginning.