Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Demo on my version of Elton John Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word.

This is my 2nd demo posting my first one was on the general singing part of the forum, Johnny Nash I can See Clearly Now. Felt it was a little out of my vocal range and then I decided this Elton John Track track seems to be more suitable range.

Advice/feedback please would be helpful.https://soundcloud.com/user-655368135-887002322/sorry-seems-to-be-the-hardest-word-in-the-style-of-elton-john/s-Gy1Yv

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @Vocality hi, well there are many things you have to work on to get this track correctly, the first one and most important is the support, not sure if I already posted you this link but I will post it so you start working on that, then go for pitch, which will help you understand how to maintain it better
    hope this helps :)

Support
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE
    how to sing on pitch
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTCrWRCsna8
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    Hi Gaston thanks for your feedback been practising vocal excercises scales, diaphramatic support for about a month now. Maybe I need to give it more time to strengthen these areas.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited October 2018
    @Vocality actually the Ktva program asks you to do volume 1 (where you see the support profoundly) during 3 to 6 months at least, sometimes is more, depending on the progress, but trust me, if you get this right and take notes of everything Ken says, you will improve madly, and again it´s way better and in a step by step process if you get the program. :) but for now do this videos repeatedly and you´ll improve a lot
    I will be starting the course just short on cash at the moment.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Vocality,

I want to join @Gaston_Jauregui: there are many thinks you have to work on. If you're short on cash at the moment it is no problem to work on your voice already. Ken has so many free videos on youtube. And he gives you great advices. But it would be great to have you in the registered students' areas some day.

From my personal experience I would suggest that should stop trying to sing songs at the beginning. Restrict yourself on singing scales. If you try to sing songs you have to focus on the song itself and on correct technique. And that is very hard if you are not sure what the things are you have to focus on.

Start with the videos Gaston named you. Then try to work on the LAH scales (on pure open AH) properly. Ken demonstrates it very well in his free videos. And believe me Ken has so much good information out there for free. Be curios what you get when you joined the program: you will get information to practice on for YEARS.

Kind regards,
    Doc
    Hi Doc_ramadani

Thanks for your advice wont be posting any more song demos at the moment, maybe just scales to check correct technique. I though some parts of that song were quite good so going with posts so far I must be awful.
    It would be great if I could purchase volume 1 that's going to keep me busy for quite a few months, with a view to buying the rest of the course later.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Vocality,

nice that we met at the live stream yesterday. You told us that you self-confidence "took a knock" in this discussion. That's too bad. And that shouldn't happen. See, YOU DO NOT WANT to discourage you. BUT WE DO WANT to give you good advice. That we suggest that you restrict yourself on singing scales at the beginning is for good reason. Scales are hard to do. And it is even harder to do them correctly. But they are the only way to grow your voice. When you got confident with the scales and are able to do them correctly you can start to apply to things your learned on songs. You do it phrase by phrase. First you sing only the vowels and try to find the correct vowel modifications. Then you add the consonants. Ken demonstrates it very well here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZATunybJm_4

So do not let your self-confidence to get knocked. BUT let your self-confidence accept that there is a proven sequence to become a great singer. Go with that sequence.

Regards,
    Doc
    Doc_ramadani many thank for you help, had overnight to reflect and yes your right maybe a little early post song demos. But one of those songs could be a guage on my future progress like a before and after. Gonna post a very short demo of the Lah Ah Vowel Just to make sure I have that bright ping sound just before continuing.
    Hi @Vocality,

you are welcome. It is a good idea to take these recordings as a before status. It would be great to have you here as a registered student.

Regards,
    Doc
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    I think you have a nice vibrato at the end of phrases
    edited November 2018
    @Vocality @doc_ramadani yep, I would always encourage everyone to just do exercises at first, but I understand that everyone wants to sing not train! haha, I know it was hard for me too, If we only could be patient and not wait for results that quick, discipline, discipline, discipline...

took me a while, now there are sometimes I dont sing at all, just train and when I do that instead of singing I realize after a couple of weeks or so, that´s when i improved the most, its hard I know :/
    edited November 2018
    Michael4000 Thanks it's nice to get a little compliment on the other hand got a lot work to do to get really good. like Gaston said it's more important to get the scales down first. however it's all too tempting to have a go at a few songs lol.