Home Vocal Health and Wellness

scratchy throat on one side when singing easy songs

I sing in church and find after a short time, I get a scratchy throat just on one side. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    @gna I had tonsil stones that manifested almost entirely on one side of my tonsils. Maybe you have the same thing.
  • GNAGNA Enrolled Posts: 21
    Thanks Hudu, I think you may be on the right track. I haven't had mine out. I have noticed that area of my throat a little red after singing. I'll get more rest, drink more water and see what happens. Thanks.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Dear @GNA,

from a medical point of view (I am a medical doctor) it could be a good idea to let an ENT have a look on that.

Regards,
    Marco
  • GNAGNA Enrolled Posts: 21
    Thanks, did two days ago. ENT found Acid reflux causing the soreness and I started taking my Rx of Omeprzole as prescribed.
    Thank you so much. Doing better already.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @GNA,

good to hear that we could help you.

Doc
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @HuduVudu how did you get rid of the tonsil stones?
    edited January 2019
    @Klaus_T I did two things. But first let me share with you my ENT's theory about tonsil stones. He believes that they are caused by acid reflux. I took that idea and tested it. From my experience it is a sound idea.

So the first thing I did was to get the stones out that were already in place. I used one of these to get water into my tonsils to flush them out. It took me a long time (almost 6 months) to get all of them out. Mine were so embedded even the ENT couldn't really get them out. I even had my dental hygienist try to look to see if she could see them. Even with her equipment she couldn't. Eventually with my singing they came out. And it was a huge relief for me because I could feel them every time I sang. One note is that these things have been in my tonsils for a long time because I am not young. :)

So the second thing that I did was to change my diet. I found that I am allergic to citric acid, so I removed that from my diet (no small task). That stopped the acid reflux and ensured that I made no new ones.

So I am about three months without the stones and so far I have grown no new ones. I don't irrigate but once a weekish. Now I mostly just gargle with plain water and this seems to work well.

Hope that helps :)
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @HuduVudu , thanks for the insight! I sometimes had small ones and thought it might be diet related. But never was able to figure out which food it was. from my research, no one really knows what they are, other than that they are disgusting and annoying ;)
    @Klaus_T they are definitely that. The citric acid allergy gave me a ton of acid reflux. If yours are small you probably have maybe one or two things in your diet that are causing grief. Just try and remember the food that caused it and you should be able to quickly get it out of your diet. That should stop the stones in their tracks.