Home Vocal Health and Wellness

stopped smoking and now I cant sing

NutskinNutskin Member, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
Ktva for a year and was enjoying better singing then I have ever managed however recently stopped smoking. This has left me with a thin voice with many breaks across range where I had no problems before. Vocal folds feel tight and distortion has all but gone. Is this something others have experienced?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    What other things may have changed that would affect your singing? Quitting smoking should simply gradually give you greater lung capacity and better health in general, but even those would happen gradually over a period of time.

You probably need to revisit your whole support mechanism. Perhaps if you were shorter of breath before, now you are a little bit out of balance from the support you had when you smoked.
  • NutskinNutskin Member, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    Thanks for your reply.
    It's only been a week. I am thinking that perhaps the chords have less gunk on them and I am finding that less air is helping at the moment but notes seemed to have moved position and tone. I will persevere to try and re establish where they sit and revisit support. Perhaps it is that I have to much air available compared with before. I played sat and found that once warmed up I had good range but it was very clear sounding
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Make sure to use good cord closure by using a bright tone.
    It might simply be a change you are going through, i would try to simply get back on track with all Ken's advice. Maybe even go from the beginning again?
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    that is weird, but make sure your lower notes are placed in chest but bright (even), sometimes we tend to place the sound too high and too frontal (nosey) and it tends to break really easy,so make sure you are leaving your mouth really open every exercise, and have the feeling of the openess at the back of the throat, other thing could be that your lower notes are darker and your mid and higher are brighter make sure you even all the spectrum of your range with brightness and openess