Home Off Topic

Splitting up practice time

LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
I have been doing the Vocal workouts pretty much every day and am serious about wanting to keep improving my singing ( I am now alternating Vol 4 with Vol 3 exercises to get a balance between head and chest). However, since I work full time, often the only time I get to practice has to come during my 45 minute ride home. However, that only gets me a little over 1/2 of the CD. When I get home Ihave to immediately walk my dogs, then make dinner and feed them too.

My question is : Is it okay to resume the CD so I can complete the workout, with a lapse of about an hour or so, withouth having to start from the beginning again (which I don't have the time for given my other nightly tasks during the week). If I do come back to it after an hour, should I do a few lip trills and toungue exercises first, so that I am not coming at it "cold"?

Thank you!
Lina

Comments

• Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    edited November 2018
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one doing workouts in the car! I know Ken advises against this but we all have busy lives and it's better than not doing the exercises at all. I do make sure I get in a few "legit" workouts every week, in my house. I also notice that for me, there seems be more awareness and sensation the diaphragm area while sitting. I don't think it's impeding my support...it seems almost better. Strange. Has anyone else noticed this?

Sorry I know this didn't answer your question, I don't know.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited November 2018
    @Lina if you feel you can do it, go for it, if you feel that you struggle a bit by going directly to the work out, go for the lip rolls first then go for the main work out, when i started doing volume 3, I started doing it in parts, so I would resume a couple of tracks before, but I wouldnt re start the cd, unless I felt I really needed to :) and btw I did them in the car for a long time, I know its not the best, but thats how it was for me at the time, but if I could I would try to stop the car beside a park at least so I didnt get distracted with driving, my problem usually was a matter of space, not so much of time
  • I think I could handle doing scales while cooking, and walking dogs. That has to be at least an hour right there.
    When I can't sing out loud I hum the scales too. I always find a way to sing or hum scales.
    Getting ready for work, in the shower, driving, walking through the house. (I'm humming scales right now) There are a lot of opportunities for practicing if you think about it.

Peace, Tony
  • LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    Thanks all! I also think it is better to do the exercises in the car than not at all, and it is a great block of time to make use of (albeit stopping at a red light while doing lip rolls has gotten me an odd look here and there :-) Now I am wondering if I can do the first half of the CD on the way to work and the second half on the way back. Do you think an 8 hour gap is too much?
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    I think is a little long but what Id do again is rewind a couple of exercises an pick it up where you feel your voice can handle it
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You can do the lip trills and tongue exercises and then pick up where you left off.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Lina,
    highmtn said:

You can do the lip trills and tongue exercises and then pick up where you left off.

I do it the way, Bob suggests. It works quite well for me.

Doc

• LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    I'm glad to know that it still works, even if I have to split it up!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You make the best of the time you have to devote to your voice. If it's not perfect, it's still WAY better than not doing it at all and missing out on the opportunity to get some singing time in.