Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Does having your tonsils removed affect your voice?

Curious questions,

If you get your tonsils removed, will this affect your singing voice?

I know the tonsils are apart of the soundboard in the back of your throat and I know they help close down the throat to help raise your chest voice and control the sound better. So I assume that getting your tonsils removed would affect your voice to some extent.

Thanks for your time in advance.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Not like you might think. People often ask Ken if they should electively have their tonsils removed, to help them sound better. In every instance like that, the answer is emphatically NO. If you need to have them removed for medical reasons, then that's between you and your doctor. But to have surgery to "improve" your voice is risky and not going to make a significant difference.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    The indication for a tonsillectomy can only be made on a medical basis.

Regards,
    Doc (M.D.)
  • Options
    cgglydecgglyde Pro Posts: 109
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the response folks. I was actually curious if it could negatively affect your singing voice. I really didn't think to remove it could be a benefit. My thoughts were this If the tonsils are apart of the soundboard in the back of the throat and you remove them wouldn't that affect your ability to close down the back of throat or use vowel modifications as you ascend.

P.S. I have a friend looking to get started singing in a bel canto style that doesn't have his tonsils and he asked me(since I've been doing it for some time) if that would play a role. My first thought was that I would perceive it as a negative, but couldn't say for sure and I would dig around for some info.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited December 2018
    Hi @cgglyde ,

ah, okay, then I misunderstood your post. I think that a tonsillectomy will NOT affect the voice negatively.

Regards,
    Doc
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @doc_ramadani @highmtn

Any idea exactly how it's affected... my thoughts are that it would limit the chest voice and probably range as a whole.
  • Options
    @cgglyde:

Oh, I am so sorry - i had to edit my post. I wanted to say that it will NOT affect the voice negatively. Sorry for my mistake.
  • Options
    @doc_ramadani Really....That seems so odd to me. I just assumed that if a part of your body was removed that's involved in the process of singing that it would affect your singing voice....now I'm very curious about this.