Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

We are the World Cover.

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157

So this song took some time to make, it was pretty fun getting to learn how all these artists sing.
I couldn't do Cyndi Lauper because she was too high for me, so I just didn't want to ruin my voice lol.
I put my soul into the song, and hope it shows.
Please give me feedback about the vocals and the recording.
@highmtn @videoace @Gaston_Jauregui @blondiewales @bentk @Ken Tamplin @stratman @Furious_Phil

Comments

• Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    you sound pretty good! congrats
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    is the michael jackson voice yours??
    try using a compressor the ending is kind of messy in volumes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,111
    OK Diego. Whats your story. You've been holding out on us.
    I know you didn't learn to sing like that from just having "MEMBER" status here. Do you have a coach? A copy of the course? This time last year when I joined, you didn't sound that great at all, and now I hear you sing like a pro. Clue us in on what your doing.
    By the way, you did a really good job.

Peace, Tony
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Thank you so much! @Gaston_Jauregui
    It's a mix, it's me and Michael together. I made them blend. So I guess it's a yes.
    How exactly should I apply the compressor?
    edited July 2018
    @videoace
    First of all thank you so much Tony! It really means a lot to me.
    I've been singing for over 6 now. I've never had any "formal" vocal lessons.
    I've only been practicing nonstop for the past 4 years. A lot of ups and downs. I usually like to take advice and apply it to my singing. When I listen to a song I look for all the little details and apply it to the song.
    And yes, last year I found KTVA, and found some really awesome people who took the time to listen to my stuff, and thanks to your and other peoples critiques, I can continue growing as a singer.
    My brother was going to get the course for me but he had to pass because of economical problems.
    I've been a member for like 2 years, but I learned how do teach myself along the way, I developed a good ear. So it's like a trial and error. What I don't like I get rid of and what I like I keep. You have to learn to know your own voice and how it works. I also like to imitate singers as you saw in the song.
    With any effect/processor you should know three things about it before even using it. What it is, what it does, and how to apply it properly to your signal. There are a ton of articles, and videos on all of that stuff. That's a whole other course in itself, but the more you do it, the better you get at it.

Peace, Tony
    I think I only used reverb and that's about it. I think that's what they used to make it sound the way it did. But other than that I didn't do anything to my voice.
    @videoace @Diego yep, its a whole other course just to learn to use a compressor :/ I would go for automating the vocals really well first, so they don´t sound loud and soft, there is a bar in every editing software, for the automation that you can move around and adjust the volume in every place, the compressor for now i would just put the one that is on your default plugins and put the preset that says vocal compressor ,that might help a bit but i would definitely automate it first
    Do I do that at only the end or on the whole song ?
    whole song in every recording
    Some people compress the signal as it's being recorded to keep levels even, but you have to be careful about over compression. You can also use a compressor/limiter.

Do you have separate meters for each channel/track on your gear so you can physically see the signal strength for each? It's best if you can record your vocal tracks at the same signal strength consistently throughout.

Most computer DAW software has the automated flying faders. It's just a recording of your actions during a mix that you can recall to replay automatically without touching a fader. Really simple to use.

There are a lot of things you can use and do for vocals during a mix, but nothing beats getting the original track recorded at proper levels, and then just having to tweak the signal the least amount possible.

You have to keep in mind when recording that after the track is recorded, everything you do to it afterwards should be to "enhance" the sound. Nothing more. A lot of people abuse or use effects without understanding how it's affecting their signal, and the mix ends up muddy or cluttered. Most people over use reverb, and delay on vocals, and end up ruining what may have been a great vocal track if a different processor was used to "enhance" the signal. I only use a touch of reverb, and a touch of chorus on my vocals. Sometimes I will use a delay/echo if the music calls for it, but normally I try to process my signals the least amount possible.

Peace
    edited July 2018
    Some of the recordings I did them a little far from the microphone so It wouldn't clip.
    How do I make that sound even with the other tracks. How do I make it sound even?
    And thank you for the feedback. I still have a lot to learn, and hopefully I'll be a singer and a sound engineer altogether lol.

By the way, did it sound like I used too much reverb?
    I applied it once.
    edited July 2018
    I noticed that one or two of the tracks may have had more reverb than the others.

The best way to get consistent levels during the recording process is this:
    Make sure all of your levels match. By that I mean make the levels that are on the input meters match the levels on your channel/track meters, and make sure both of those match up with the levels on the master output. If you match those three levels, you can't really go wrong.

Peace, Tony
    @Diego dont get far from the microphone! , record watching the level on your software, usually I record everything not getting past by -9 dbs so i record every part separately, if something goes higher than that, I stop the recording and adjust the level of the interface on the next part, thats the best way to do it, then i automate, afterwards, btw usually watch for the screams a lot more, those are done appart, from the rest of the verses,

If you only wanna get al in one take sing the loudest part to get the levels and adjust, then sing everyhing like that, in post production you readjust and automate the volume
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! @Gaston_Jauregui @videoace I'll be sure to pay a lot more attention next time. Can the song still be fixed as it is? Or do I have to record it again?
    Thank you!
    @videoace I may have accidentally applied reverb two times in one. Because I think I pressed CTRL+ R two times which adds the effect. OOps lol.
    I tried to make it louder because I thought it would be "buried in the mix".
    @Diego When you make a mistake like double applying an effect, go to your edit menu, and hit undo.

Yes it can be fixed if you saved the project. If all you have is the stereo mixed copy, then I would say no because if that's the case, every time you alter the sound of the vocal, everything else is also being altered with it.

Always save your projects!

Peace, Tony
    I have my audacity save file with me.
    So that's a yes.
    I'll get to working on fixing the problems.

Thank you.
    edited July 2018
    @highmtn What do you think sir?
    edited December 2018
    @doc_ramadani Did I ever show you this?
    You might like it.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Diego, yes I have seen that when I clicked through your posts. Very good!