Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Getting that uvula to rise

Hello everyone!

Lately I've been practicing aspects of Vol. 1 one at a time. First posture for a while, then diaphragm support, then keeping my mouth wide open, and so forth. This last week I got the mirror out again and practiced my vowel mods. When I go from Lah to Loft I can keep the sound nice and pingy but my uvula isn't moving all that much. It wasn't until I really focused and made that Loft feel almost like a yawn is when it would rise up. Should I focus on getting that into muscle memory or is the sound more important?

Thanks in advance! I work on a cruise ship so my internet is QUITE spotty, but I will reply as soon as I can.
Peace
Clint

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Clint first things first. You should really upgrade your forum status so that you have access to the student area of the forums. You can do that here.

Should I focus on getting that into muscle memory or is the sound more important?
    Without getting into to much detail because we are in the open area of the forum, you should focus on the muscle memory. Sound is less important than correct technique. Once you have correct technique you can adapt the technique to get the sound you are looking for. For me technique is ALWAYS first because correct technique protects my voice.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    @BigPhattyVW,

@HuduVudu is right. Once you have the right technique you will be able to sound like whatever you want to. So I would focus on technique like @HuduVudu. And he is right, correct technique will keep your voice healthy.

Doc
  • BigPhattyVWBigPhattyVW Member Posts: 2
    Thank you!! You are absolutely correct, technique over sound!!

I have upgraded before but I haven't been on this site in a while. When I have better internet I'll check that link. I just re sent my receipts as proof of the upgrade.

As per tradition I have a thousand more questions but I'll wait till my pro status comes back!

Have a great one!
    Clint