Home Off Topic

WOW! How to see your vocal cords

Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
Would anyone try this? Would there be any value to it, do you think?

@doc_ramadani What do you think doctor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgejYnXPxy0

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Michael4000,

I have done this a lot of times. This is a classical laryngoscopy. I tried it with myself as well as with other students at university. Nowadays we do this in a more comfortable way for the patients - we use endoscopy. We use the way through the nose which is much more convenient for the patient.

I found a nice video from a colleague in the US who demonstrates this with a female singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYpDwhpILkQ

Ken teaches us a very healthy way to sing. So I think there is no indication to do that. We only do that in medicine if a patient has problems. If you want to try it yourself ... go on, do it. It is a regular procedure in medicine. But I think there is really no need to do that if you do what Ken teaches us.

And if you really want to see it in action I could ask a friend of mine to do a video of my vocal cords. She is an ENT.

But, it won't me make a better singer so I'd prefer to spend my time on the exercises, Elton. :smile:

Doc
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited January 2019
    BTW, did you see the video Shane ( @HuduVudu ) posted on resonance. Doesn't this video remind you on (to???) that? - This is resonance of the vocal cords.

Doc

PS.: This is the video Shane originally posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gr7KmTOrx0
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @doc_ramadani oh sh*t, that's how fragile the vocal chords are?! well they look it anyway. I never knew that. thanks for sharing.
    edited January 2019
    And @Michael4000, did you get how much the vocal tract shaping contributes to the sound? - It is very correct that Ken talks about the larynx as the sound box. The vocal tract shapes the sound to be heard as AH - AA - EE - ...

Doc

Very interesting discussion.
    Yes, @Klaus_T,

yes, they are very fragile and small. And they are able to produce so much sound. Isn't the human body amazing?

Doc
    edited January 2019
    And, to conclude, Ken teaches us the only right way to use our bodies to do pretty good singing. He tells us what exercises we have to do at which point. Oh man, 35 years of experience and we get it spoon-feeded. The best choice I ever did in my life. I would give anything to having made that decision earlier. Doc
    edited January 2019
    @doc_ramadani it sure is, it's surprising what sort of abuse it can take before permanent damage is done. well, at least my vocal chords are in the best hands now so to speak, as you said, nothing to worry about when we follow the exercises :)
    edited January 2019
    Klaus, @Klaus_T

yes, I think we both found the way to the best place we could ever land. I am curios upon your next demo in the students' area. Your last one was very cool. Very "vibey". Even I would call myself a classical rock/pop guy I tried myself a dance track today. It was a lot of fun. And I will post it soon. Be aware, Disco Doc is coming to the house. :D

Doc
    @doc_ramadani , thanks, glad you liked it :) I am also really looking forward to hearing your version. to be honest, I still have no idea how to tackle it, the chorus is crazy high for me. so you are saying we get R'n'R Doc and Disco Doc in the same week? what a time to be alive!!!