Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

how to deal with our psychology when doing an exercise to stretch our voice??

I heard from ken that said "you have to give yourself permission"..what does that mean?? does that mean when doing an exercise we have to had a positive mind??

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    Exactly, you have to allow yourself to be confident and build a strong mind so you can build positivity and not hold back.
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    @Diego this is exactly one of my problem..do I have to think of the note while stretching my voice??

let's say if I want to stretch my chest voice to C5, do I have to psychologically think of C5 note when doing an exercise??
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I would like to hear where Ken said that to put it in context. Can you tell me which video and what minute and second that is found at?
    edited January 2019
    https://youtu.be/OKwWqNY687Y

hello @highmtn its at 5.10..if you can explain to me what thats mean,then thats good..
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Permission = Relaxation.

People get freaked out mentally when they come up to a note that they think is very hard. When they do that they will then start to tense in anticipation of the note. Giving yourself permission is a mental preparation to relax as you move to a note that you think will be difficult, and then stay relaxed as you sing through it.
    @HuduVudu thank you for explanation..that relaxation also mean that you dont need to strain right??
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Correct, but sometimes it is hard to get your mind to not tense/strain your muscles when you come up to something that is hard.
    @HuduVudu true..I have been with it so many time before..dont even know about the chest voice blockage and strain all the way just to hit note..and then here come ken's free lesson on youtube and I decided to join this forum..
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Exactly.
    I can only speak for myself, so I recently was asked to sing a Whitesnake song called "Here I go Again"... there is a money-note that Coverdale hits just before the solo that I later found out to be a A5 (I believe so anyway). I went into the song confident and happy, and when that note came, I relaxed my throat and just did it! I hit and held it solidly, just not with Coverdale's girth (obviously).
    I was so happy I did it, that the rest of the song was a joyful piece of cake.
    PS - My normal top-end is F#5.
    Secret: I simply didn't think about it, and I didn't know it was that far above my top note, so I was fearless, and just relaxed into it. I actually remember that washing feeling of calm just before the moment.
    So yes, I can actually say that your belief in your ability to hit it can make a difference :+1:
    @Furious_Phil thanks..I gain a lot of confidence from reading your comment..
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Thanks, @mey_luqman98 , for providing the source of Ken talking about "giving permission" to sing high.
    I wanted to make sure it was KEN you were quoting. There is a quack coach that basically teaches NOTHING about the voice, and that person also says to "give yourself permission", but they don't teach you ANYTHING about how to actually do the notes. Ken actually gives you exercises and instructions that will help you GROW the voice, and then it's actually helpful to give yourself permission to do what you are actually enabling yourself to do by doing the workouts.

I actually bought Per Bristow's program just before I found KTVA. That's all it was. "Affirmations" and "allowing" but without any methodology to apply to those affirmations and allowances. Worthless affirmations if you don't have any substance to put with it.

If you do Ken's exercises regularly, your voice will start to grow. If you have a lot of negative self-talk going on, or beat yourself up while you are still trying to learn, you will be your own worst enemy. But affirmations without substance and real-life exercise and proper practice won't help much. You need to do the work, correctly, AND believe in yourself and in the reality of the quality of Ken's methods, and you will see real-world results. Not just happy-face imaginary permission, but real notes, solid notes, supported notes, higher and lower than you thought you would be capable of. When you get into that territory, then giving permission has some real meaning.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I Used to hold back when singing because I was scared of the big notes. The scales in volume 1 were way more range than I had to start with. Just doing the scales somewhere u can feel totally safe and give it everything really helps. Even when I just started and practiced all alone I found it hard at first because as I heard myself it felt weird. But it's just you! When u get comfortable with you, I reckon you will find your confidence grows quicker and things will start coming together even more! This course is amazing so far, I've had just under 6 months. Keep going at it 😃