Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello From Vancouver, Canada

JazzyohJazzyoh 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
I am an older fellow who always wanted to be good at singing. Now that I have the time, I am trying to make a few things happen. This summer was my very first time in a professional studio with my own song at https://youtu.be/-aCl32p_1TY I know I have a lot to learn so I am looking forward to meeting all of you talented singers and musicians.

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Jazzyoh,

a warm welcome from Germany again.

Doc
  • JazzyohJazzyoh 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
    How is Germany now days? My daughter is interested in visiting once she finishes university

Gary
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Hey Jazz, I'm just over in Calgary!
    The absolute best time to start singing properly is from childhood, the next best time is right now!
    Looking forward to hearing you progress :smile:
    Hi Phil. Thanks for the shout out. I am excited to see how I can progress as well. I have already stretched the chest voice a bit. Not great or consistent yet, but I 'll keep in working.
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    Thanks so much Michael. Since you have been a player for a long time, maybe this is a good question to ask you. Are there any good resources on harmony training? I can't hear harmonies right off but i can figure them out. I have always admired people who can do a 3rd or a 5th right away and sing harmony with another singer right away.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I like your song and your voice. This training is a great program. You will get a lot of use from it.

I'm one of those people who just "hears" harmonies when I hear music. If 5 people are singing, I will almost instantly and instinctively "hear" another part that I can add that will fit with the other notes.

The best way to get good at harmonies is to sing them all the time. When you hear a song on the radio, sing harmony with the lead vocals. When you are at church, sing harmony with all of the rest of the congregation. If someone else is singing lead, find a harmony part.

You can learn intervals. When your brain automatically "knows" what a 3rd or a 5th is to any note you hear, you will be able to sing a basic major harmony note. Then you can branch off from that to do 7ths, minors, 4ths, augmentations, etc.

Bob
    Thanks Bob. I have some ideas now on how to practice my harmony. I just got to get used to hearing them. You got a great gift being able to hear them as easily as you do.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Thinking about this, I remember when I was younger that I found, by accident, on keyboards that the 3rd and 5th intervals of just about any note in just about any key makes harmony. So I just started hearing that all the time when I heard music, and started harmonizing with everything I heard, musically.
    Yes, Ken touches on that in the latter part of lesson one. i am going to start singing simple melodies into my DAW and try harmonizing with them to start.