Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Alexander Romanov Jr. Needing help with strainy, crappy shaky voice..

it may or may not sound like it is that bad to you, but inside, i am feeling a strainy sensation, and it is very hard for me to sing higher notes than i am singing.. I am having a LOT of trouble singing tons of songs because i am not feeling that internal freedom, or strength i would think i would have by now from singing by myself for so long.. not being coached at all. But i could suck to you guys, and that is totally fine, as long as i am learning how to fix these issues so i can sing professionally. Please.. if you are not qualified to diagnose, and remedy what i am suffering form, please kindly restrain yourself from posting a reply.. i have seen some people posting who do not really know what they are actuallly talkilng about, but just taking a stab in the dark with other's voices.. Ken, other's i've seen who have the talent, and the sight, please help! Would be great to get some input because i know you guys see every little issue.. thanks!

https://youtu.be/pg3qW6f5ZVE

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    A lot of what is happening with your voice that is rough on it is the impact of all of the consonants, especially when you bring the volume up. We sing on Vowels, and need to keep a smooth airflow rather than impactful shouting or choppy words.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Alex, @Romanov,

you could benefit very much from learning Open Throat singing. Ken has a very cool free video on that. THIS IS GOLDEN INFORMATION:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64nvAbgO6k&t=746s

If you can't afford to buy the course I would recommend to do all free exercises from Ken on a daily base. We have here a cool guy, @Diego, who did this. Since a few weeks he is in the course. Listen yourself:

Regards, Doc

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    hi @Romanov, I believe if you want to improve your voice, you've come to the right place.

Before I bought the course, I was doing a routine of 1 hour per day of some of the free KTVA videos, and already after a week I felt an improvement (and my bandmates commented on it without me prompting them). There are people here who can assess where you're at and then point you in the right direction (two of them have already commented above), but for me it even worked without being pointed anywhere, I just did it for a very short time and already noticed a difference. I am by no means a great singer. I started only in November 2018.

My point being, doing Ken's exercises will give you a tangible improvement without even needing to know where exactly you're taking off from. I hope this makes sense. If you are interested in the routine I did, let me know and I'll share it with you. You can try it for a few days/weeks and see/hear for yourself. In the actual course, there is a whole lot of exercises (which are structured in volumes which you progress through over the course of time), and it is a system, so you build up all the elements you need to make your voice great.

You will have to put a lot of work in doing those things almost daily, only by doing you will learn. But if you are putting in the hours, it is basically impossible not to improve in all aspects of your voice.
  • RomanovRomanov Member Posts: 4
    Thanks a lot for the input so far! I have had NO lessons so lol.. only one crappy one once, and that's it.. rip me apart! tell me i suck, and where, how to change it... go to youtube and look at my crappy videos, let me know what's up!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Romanov,

let me know what's up!

I guess you forgot to paste the youtube link.

Doc
    edited January 2019
    hi @Romanov , well, there you go, if you never had lessons, how would you expect to sound like a trained singer?

I (and lots of other people) used to believe that you either can sing, or you can't, it's talent, or lack thereof, and that's it. From Ken's YT videos, I got the idea it might be possible to learn it, and being on the course now, I am absolutely convinced it is possible. Listen to @doc_ramadani and his progress, he could not hit a single note (his own words) 5 months ago, and he improved massively in that short time. Maybe he posts something for you here in the public section. They say 1-2 years on the course turn you into someone people love listening to. It is not a very long time for something that I believed was completely out of reach for me for eternity. and even after a few weeks, you will notice small improvements, it is a journey, and will open you up to ideas that you would have never thought existed. How I said, people think it is talent, when really, it is technique, and all of it can be learned
    Oh sorry... i linked that one, and three videos are posted on my youtube page.

Okok klaus i got it brother... i should get the course. Yeah.. i need something. I dont think doc is too far off though... i need to train for open throat, not hit so hard on impact. I know that cant be all my issues though, my volume is messed up i think. Im just kind of an overall untrained singer. I do not have a grand or two to drop on a program though, that is something i cannot afford at this time, so that pretty much cancels that out. I was however looking for good input as to what i might do or practice, and see what others think. I undersrand everyone has to make money, but i cant pay for a course.
    @Romanov , the course is not a grand or two, I think it is under 300 $, but sure, if you don't have money to spend, that still might be a lot. But you know, how I said above, you can always do Ken's free exercises, on Youtube.

I was serious about it, you can do the exercises for a short while and see an improvement. Your voice is not crappy per se, it is just untrained, so to move forward, you need training.

Check out this thread, I posted my routine from the free videos for someone else who wasn't sure if they wanted to get the course:

http://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/comment/50362#

I did this for a while, and I already improved with those, and I am sure you will too. Do it for 1-2 weeks, 20-60 minutes daily. I know it is hard to be confident about one's own voice, it took me years before I even dared to TRY singing, but you don't have to think your's is bad. If someone has never played golf before, they would not show up on the green and be surprised that they are bad at it, let alone be embarassed. They would start training. The voice is no different, the only difference is that people think it is different, and you are somehow expected to be great right off the bat, which most people would not be. the general public thinks singing can't be learned. but that is BS, and you can see for yourself. I hope this helps!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Of course while there are great exercises in the free videos, there is a ton more background and instructional information that comes along with the exercises, as in LESSONS, and a structure, and quite a bit more information when you actually get the entire course...

But yeah, the exercises in Ken's free YouTube videos are nothing short of PURE GOLD. But the diamonds and platinum are overflowing in the course itself, and no way does it cost a thousand. It is WORTH Thousands. But it costs maybe a couple hundred.

Most of us here put off buying it for WAY too long, and then regretted how much time we wasted not going ahead and really learning how to improve our voices and getting that process started.

Do those exercises. They will help you.

Bob
    @highmtn:
    Most of us here put off buying it for WAY too long

Yes, :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

Doc
    I have read and watched a ton of lessons online... but never had my own 1 one 1 lessons. I know all of the lingo that is associate with singing, and have a great education in that regard, but i don't and haven't had anyone coach me 1 on 1. When spring comes around, i'll probably buy it. i am a landscaper at this point, and need to work and save up for the course. I really hope there is information in it that is going to be legit, and help me change my singing, but it is way too hard, and i see singers all over the internet, but I do not know the secret behind.. there has got to be a trick to it that i'm not aware of. I don't think just changing my impacts will help.. even if i modify vowels all of that, I am getting it wrong no matter what i do so.
    edited January 2019
    @Romanov , the secret is lots of practice with the right exercises. One-on-one is optional, I have not done a one-on-one, and I think the majority of people on here would not have done one-on-ones with Ken.

I never had any other singing lessons before, but from some other people's experience I found on here, it is almost safe to say that Ken's internet course beats most one-on-ones with another teacher. So one-on-ones with Ken are the holy grail, but you can do without it.

As I said, do the free exercises, when spring comes around, you will be glad you did not waste your time, this course is 100% legit, and the free exercises are enough to prove it. I would not take anyone's word for it if I were you, I would do some of the exercises, and hear the results. By spring, you will be better at singing without having spent a single cent on your singing, and then you can treat yourself to the course and KNOW it is a great decision.

Vowel mods and other things have to be made into muscle memory, knowing about them is only the beginning, being able to execute them without thinking about them is the end game. You build muscle memory by exercising regularly, 5-6 days a week, 20 minutes to 1 hour minimum.

I hope I am not insulting you, but don't look for a quick fix, to me it sounds like you want us to give you some tip that solves your "singing issues" at once. No such tip exists, because muscle memory is not transmittable from one person to another. Ken guides us to build this on our own (in the audio guides and video guides provided with the course, or in the free lessons), the forum helps to clear up questions we have on the way. No one can do the exercise for you, it is that simple. You could talk to 1,000s of professional football players and not become a better player, unless you put in the hours and train yourself. Don't make excuses for not starting with the free material right away (I made the same mistake, I was looking for that quick tip, and only realized years later I should have just started exercising the second I found the free vids on YT).

I wish I would have watched this video back then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFLtsTj0L9s

@highmtn is the Admin of this forum, he did not disagree with my suggestion to do the free exercises, instead he said they are PURE GOLD, so go figure. Just because there is platinum and diamonds to be had for a ridiculously low price, I wouldn't turn down free GOLD if someone came and gave me some.

If you have at least 20 minutes a day for the free exercises, it will be time well spent, that is literally all it will cost you. You will be amazed at how quickly you will hear some improvement. I would look forward to hear of your progress in a few weeks