Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Does Ken Tamplin use vocal fry exercises?

Hi I'm still on volume 1 and I was wondering if Ken does vocal fry exercises later on like other series?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Ken does not utilize vocal fry in any of his exercises.

All of the comments I have heard from Ken regarding vocal fry dismiss its usefulness. 

Bob

• Options
    DavidGDavidG Pro Posts: 65
    you cannot imagine how happy I am to hear this news! :) 
  • Options
    crscrs Enrolled Posts: 46
    Vocal fry is pretty useless. I know Brett Manning tries to emphasize vocal fry in particular, but all that's gonna do in the long run is make you squeeze for notes.
  • Options
    sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    With this program the exercises are simple and apply directly to singing. That's what I love about it. Vocal fry is an effect that can be used after your technique is spot on.
  • Options
    Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Vocal fry is an effect that can be added to open throat however I in no way endorse it. It causes unnecessary closure of the throat. 
  • Options
    matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    Before I started your method, I was able to make great use of vocal fry by using it before phrases in my upper range. With that technique I was able to strengthen my high notes and belt safely into the fifth octave, but I now find open throat is much more efficient.
  • Options
    sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    It is that croaky type sound done by using the edges of the vocal cords I believe. You can achieve it by dropping the volume of a comfortable note until you hear that rattle or croak of the cords. I use it for effect but sparingly. It doesn't seem to do any harm its just note that useful as you move up in range.