Home Psychology of Singing

Ping? well maybe!

Hi Everyone just had six bad days -one good day and hey one good make the six bad days worth it -(Oh Yes I think I got one ping moment !!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    All right! Now we're getting somewhere!
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    That's great , @kirk. We all started somewhere and all at a sudden we manage to do it. I came from nothing. And even I managed to able to do my scales after short time. Doc

PS.: If you bought the course don't forget to update your forum status. You will see a whole new world.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    You'll have many moments like these. There will be times where you will just break through that barrier! But then you'll encounter others, so keep pushing through them!
  • kirkkirk Member Posts: 11
    Thanks, Diego its been five weeks, I practice so much my wife asked me if I was going solo in a show or something?!
    What!! i am getting a few more pings now but hey that would be my dream!!
  • GiraffyGiraffy 2.0 PRO Posts: 57
    Could I get a bit of an explanation on this "ping"? What is it? Is it a feeling or sensation you get?
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Ping is harmonic resonance. What that means is that the sound waves that you produce with your voice line up to reinforce themselves creating a louder sound. What this means for you as a singer is that you sound louder and stronger with a whole lot less effort. Everyone's vocal tract is different so it takes some work to find where you can get resonance in your voice. Plenty of practice will help you eventually settle in on where resonance occurs in your voice.

Here is Ken talking about it in regards to head voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLzh8TwNeAk
    @HuduVudu thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. I think I understand. I'll be buying the course this weekend so hopefully I'll catch on.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Giraffy,

it would be great to have you with us.

When you have purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here.

And then ... get involved. I would like to recommend to you that you visit these forums regularly and listen to other students' demos and comment on them. Then read carefully what other students comment. You will learn a lot from that, believe me. You will get very good on analyzing yourself. Get involved and squeeze out the most of this course.

In the Volume 1 folder you will find a PDF file. This is the first you should read.

Doc
    Hey @doc_ramadani thanks for the warm welcome. I'll be sure to study all the material provided in the course. Thank you.
    Bought the pro course and sent receipt
  • IraRIraR Member, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 54
    What I gather from listening to Ken is that by "Ping" he seems to mean a kind of "bright timbrel sound." Indeed, I tend to notice that he often interchanges "that nice bright ping" with "that nice bright timbrel sound." He definitely makes a contrast between the bright timbrel (with Ping) "Lah" he wants and between a more covered, darker, operatic "Lah." There is quite a bit of mask resonance involved in the "Ping," although he seems to want the sound to get up into the upper pharanx cavity enlarged by the raised uvula first and then forward into the mask, which reinforces the resonance. "Ping" also rhymes with "ring," and Ken does seem to want what most of us refer to as a "ringing" sound. "Ping" or "brightness" is necessary to inculcate in the exercises in order to "grow the voice," especially on the "lah" vowel, (since most of us start out making the "lah too dark) but it probably isn't what you want all the time in actual pieces of music.
  • kirkkirk Member Posts: 11
    Hi iraR Thank you for your understanding of ping, i have only just started the course and being 66 yrs of age and have only half an ear working, a bright ping of any sort is great for me haha! But its because of comments like yours I find this new world so stimulating and intriguing, thanks again and good luck to you Kirk
  • Elijah9Elijah9 2.0 PRO Posts: 73
    Maybe its in the wrong discussion but sometimes when i sing scales i feel like i have tiny little rock things hitting the vocal folds but sometimes it's bright...but i can easily belt and F4 when it's a good day i can do a one note belt up to B4 with nice clear tone.
    I'm 19 male and high tenor but i'm amateur still trying to figure out to use and control all that diaphragmatic strenght i have.

Thanks in advancee from Sweden
    Check for tonsil stones, these can feel like gravel in your throat. I had them and took the necessary steps to correct and that feeling went away for me.
    @HuduVudu

I can not thank you enought i have a small one on my left tonsil and i think i spotted it on time ...tryed couple things but none help...going in monday to the dentist...Hope i can get back on track with "Ping is king" .

I have found that if you have one there are usually more. There are tons of videos on the internet on how to get them out.

In my case my tonsil stones came from a food allergy that caused me to have acid reflux.

I am glad to have helped you. I know how frustrating tonsil stones can be.
    No way acid reflux ... Did you start burping every time you used your diaphragmatic support a little bit more haha? Because i do?
    Is it an acid reflux or i'm just using it too much without giving the space and time for growing stronger?

By the way i know its disguasting but when you took out the stone was it like kinda softer thingy or was it a harder one on touch?

I'm asking because i have one more and its like really stuck and every time i touch it with the ear stick its kinda harder but my doctor said that it's a mucus i think and i should not worry and it will go by it self ... but it doesn't seem to move?
    edited March 2019
    Did you start burping every time you used your diaphragmatic support a little bit more haha?
    No, it was after I ate food that I was allergic to.
    Is it an acid reflux or i'm just using it too much without giving the space and time for growing stronger?
    Acid reflux, is burping up a little bit of stomach acid. It feels a little bit like vomiting.
    By the way i know its disguasting but when you took out the stone was it like kinda softer thingy or was it a harder one on touch?
    Very hard because they were very old upwards of ten years old. The singing really made me aware of them and some were lodged very deep in my tonsils and they took months to move upward enough for me to remove them.
    ... i think and i should not worry and it will go by it self ... but it doesn't seem to move?
    The very old ones for me took some time to dislodge and move up. Once they did that, I had to work to remove them. Singing will definitely dislodge them.

The good news is that if you can figure out what is causing the acid reflux and you correct that then once you get all of them out the won't come back. You can then be rid of them for the rest of your life.
    edited March 2019
    Uhh i have a relief i definitely not have acid reflux i burp like that one time in 5-6 months

I'm going to dentist maybe he can remove it...did you removed your's or doctor fixed them?

Why am i burping then when i use my support harder?
    Hi @Ilija,

Why am i burping then when i use my support harder?

Maybe you pump too much air into your stomach while breathing. Watch you shoulder to stay relax when breathing. Do NOT take a breath to you lungs and then push the air to the belly. Breath directly into your abdomen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE

Doc
    Yes i breath into my whole abdomenal area and also in the back i feel it filling up ... is it maybe because i pump too much air?
    ... did you removed your's or doctor fixed them?
    I removed them myself. I used these curved tip syringes.