Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Take On Me Cover

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    I what vocaroo does to the recording lol.
    The quality drops tremendously.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited March 2019
    OOha, good to see your chest voice growing, Diego. Good work. May i request a song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJe1iUuAW4M

Good to have you back.

Doc
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Diego

Thats brilliant for an hour work, nice vibrato on your high notes, noticing a warmer sound to you voice compared to earlier postings and more range as well.

George
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    hey @diego good job! make sure you work on the "..me On" and "I´ll be gone" be careful with that transition because you are making the EE Oh and that is closing the tract and reopening it, this is why your voice kind of gets a bit tired around min 3:04 you have to maintain the same space during both vowels in order to make the transition easier, again you did a good job, I know im being very picky here, but the understanding of these type of transitions are what KTVA is all about and really make the difference in harder songs, so this type of details must be well taken care of when you feel it is not necessary to do them

hope this helps!
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @doc_ramadani that is a veery hard song to sing thats actually a challenge song I have in mind, a lot of air control
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    @Diego Wow. That was amazing to do in one hour. I believe @Gaston_Jauregui explained well what I heard. The song was great. You really nailed the high money note and your tone on the low “take” was perfect. To my untrained ears, the only real issue I heard was towards the end there seemed to be some tension that came out sounding hard, or almost like punching the notes, like the “oh” at 2:32, and “I’ll be gone” at 3:02. Those are nitpicking. Overall this was a great performance and I am impressed you did so well in such a short time.
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    Nice job, @Diego ! Thanks for sharing. Always impressed with your work, and encouraged that you knocked that out in 1 hour.
    @doc_ramadani @Gaston_Jauregui @Diego Ooohhh. Would love to hear What Fool Believes - one of my favorites!!
    Not to hijack the thread (Sorry Diego) :) , but I couldn't resist adding this live version of What A Fool Believes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK1UYQQAqxo
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    edited March 2019
    Very awesome Diego. Such a difficult song and you did a great job. If I have to nitpick a couple things, it would be:

0:51 the word "take", you did not hit the pitch spot on, it took a fraction of a second for you to settle into the pitch. I realize this is a really tough one because it's so low and transitioning from a much higher note-- a big leap. Similarly you did this other times in the song on the word "take."

Your voice sounds a little disconnected from chest to high chest/belting, and then head voice. I think this is especially difficult with a song like this that has such a huge range. But as Ken says, eventually the goal is to have one long connected note from low to high. What volume are you in? I'm just starting volume 4, but I'm also continuing to work on v.3 at the same time. Ken says to alternate exercises from both volumes. Volume 5 addresses mixing chest and head, which is why I ask exactly where you're at.

I also have not been very active on the forum lately, but this is not for lack of singing. I've just not had the time to go through posts but I've been practicing a lot and plan on posting a demo again at some point, maybe in a couple weeks. I'm trying to find my own voice, my own sound, so I've not been using many backing tracks, more singing while I'm playing at the piano and finding a key for each song that suits MY voice, make the song my own...I'm trying to move away from "copy-catting" originals. It is definitely a journey of self exploration and it is not easy.

Hi to @victortang and @doc_ramadani and all my other buddies on the forum. @victortang How is the singing competition TV show going? @doc_ramadani How have you been?

Michael
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Michael4000,

good to have you here again. And thanks for asking: we had a lot of fun here while you were busy. The weekly assignments are very nice (very nice people and a great learning experience every week) and I had the opportunity to finish some collab demos (one with Klaus and one with Youtube-Ken). I am know waiting for Michael (YOU!!!!) and Victor to finish the next ones.

You are already on Volume 4? - Wow. Great progress. I am looking forward to hear the first demo with YOUR voice. I think that this will be my task later, I am still fiddling out to do the best copies. Hopefully no one will choose something like Sam Smith - If yes, I will be lost. My head voice needs still a lot of work.

I hope you and you loves are well.

BTW, @Diego is still on Volume 1 to my knowledge. Doesn't he sound great?

Doc

PS.: Chris ( @cwcw ) that live version is amazing. Did you know that it was recorded in an german TV show? - The name of the show was "Ohne Filter". In english it could be named "Unfiltered". It was a TV format in which great artiest were performing live without any fancy studio tricks. The showed off naked. It is amazing how good Michael McDonald sings. I hope that there will one day where I will be able to sing this song and reach only 10% of his greatness.
    @doc_ramadani Thanks doc!
    I'll try that song out!
    Hi @Diego,

are you sure? - This is really a hard one, like Gaston said. Michael is moving in and out head voice seamlessly. Amazing skills are demanded.

Doc
    @Vocality Thanks George!
    I'm working on my chest voice. And I also used decrescendo on the high notes.
    @Gaston_Jauregui Thanks for the amazing tips as always Gaston!
    @doc_ramadani I always like to take on a challenge. This will probably take me to my limits, but I'll get it eventually.
    @victortang Most of it was one take except the chorus parts where it was demanded to cut because of the timing.
    @doc_ramadani Cool that was recorded on a German TV show. As "naked" as they were without studio tricks - they sounded awesome. Amazing indeed. I'll take just 5% of that talent. :)
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Wow, amazing job as always.
    I always listen to your demos.
    You showed us that can play so many different styles and you have great control of chest and head voice.
    Really nice job.

Your recording sound good ad well, I was wondering how do you make them.
    I just put the karaoke track on garage band and mix with my vocal track.
    What about you?
    C.
  • Moviefan2k4Moviefan2k4 Member Posts: 19
    That was a very impressive version of a classic '80s song. I was surprised you could hit that really high note, because its quite a doozy.