Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Confortably numb cover

Hi everybody,

I have been quite silent on the forum during the last couple of months but a big change happened in my life.
I have a son now, I love him but he is really time consuming :)
Of course I am still trying to practice everyday finding time in anyway but I never have time for a recording because it takes a lot of time to do it.
Today I had a couple of hours free and I did this cover of a fantastic song from Pink Floyd.
I would like to know what you think about it and how I sound.
At the end of the song I put the track just of my voice without backing track if someone more skilled then me wants to get deeper in the review.

Thanks a lot for your time as always.

C.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QKjyynXMdUoQyffHKUyilfwBnOf_Ba7q

Comments

• cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @Claude77 , Congratulations on the birth of your son! Children are a gift from God, and a labor of love...yes, time consuming.

Comfortably Numb...one of my favorites!

I have not heard your work before, and I don't have much time, so I will be brief. Overall, I think you did a nice job. I like your tone. It seems that you are singing without tension. Your pitch was generally good throughout the song, but needs work. "I have become comfortably numb", however, was flat in all cases.

Also, I can tell you need to work on support. Stronger support will help correct those pitch issues. I have similar issues myself.

Keep working on singing as time allows. 3 months after baby is easier, 6 months after is even more easy, and by 18 months (for me anyway) dad could enjoy son/daughter even more. :)

Also, consider joining us in the Collaborative Demos - Weekly Assignment section - when you have time. We are an informal group, and we are learning a lot from each other. @doc_ramadani , @Klaus_T , and @victortang , among others are great to be hanging around with.

Chris
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @Claude77 congratulations :)

nice tone, pitch is pretty decent but yeah some glitches here and there. working on support will help with pitch, and working with the Better Pitch videos from VOL 1 will also help (they can be done pretty quickly, or you just do a few instead of all of them).
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Thanks @Klaus_T and @cwcw for taking the time to listen and comment I appreciate it.

About pitch issue I don't think I have big problem on pitch becaues I worked and I work on it a lot.
    I sing in a choir of more then 20 people and it is very rare that I have pitch problems during our rehearsal and trust me inside a choir pitch is maybe the most important thing!

I am wondering if recording on headphone can make you flat?

Maybe having your voice and the backing track in headphone your are not completely aware of what is happening?
    Anyway I will work on it.

Thanks a lot again.
    C
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Claude77,

also from me "Congratulations". Being a father of 4 I know that the birth of a child changes a lot / EVERYTHING. Enjoy being a father.

Nice job and I agree with Chris that you will benefit a lot from working on support. This was and is the most important issue for me. Whenever something does not work like suspected I always have to check my support.

Concerning your question on the headphones: yes, they can. Hopefully you have an audio interface with direct monitoring. Use it - it will make it a lot easier.

But really nice job.

Doc
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @Claude77 I wasn't highlighting it quite as much as I should have, overall you sound really good! sorry, I am a bit used to short breakdowns and high-level nitpicking from our weekly assignments... which you are welcome to join if you have time! maybe we could let you pick a song you know, then you will have an easier time. no pressure though
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    Thanks a lot @Klaus_T I appreciate your comment and please don't get me wrong I was just trying to think if the sound pressure from my headphone can mix up a bit my pitch.
    I will follow your advice because pitch is something someone should always work on and make better.

I would really love to join you on the weekly assignment but for now I don't think I could find the time but as soon as my son will let me do it I will be part of it.

C.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited April 2019
    hi @Claude77 first of all congratulations on becoming a father, im looking forward on becoming one hahaha,
    now as @doc_ramadani and many others mentioned, support is something you have to work more on, but also placement, brightness, smile, since imitating pinkfloyd´s singers is gonna take the voice out of place at this point, because of the lack of brightness, and you have to have more understanding and control over the covered sound and pitch in this form, i would encourage you to try to even the tone in both verse and chorus.

This song is a lot more covered in the verse and once you get to the chorus is more brightened up, (the regular Roger Waters or David Gilmore way), but in order to fix pitch problems, i would say you should brighten it the entire song, also this same reason is why in the chorus you are struggling with the high note, because the reopening of the sound (brightening) is gonna be more difficult this way, if you stay bright the whole time is gonna be more the KTVA way and secondly is gonna be way easier for you to maintain pitch and range, you can work on covering the sound for style later

here is a video where ken talks about this subject while analyzing disturbed´s singer

in order to make this easier for you, just brighten up all the way regardless of if the feel of the song or the interpretation is of your personal taste, I would work on maintaining the brightness the whole time, this meaning only technique matters at this point

hope this helps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pHsMnDacns