Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Somebody to Love Cover

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
https://audiomack.com/song/diego-ktva/queen-somebody-to-love

@highmtn @doc_ramadani @HuduVudu @victortang @Vocality @Klaus_T @Sophia @Gaston_Jauregui @Furious_Phil @blondiewales @juanmarivley @Wigs @Michael4000 @LoneWolfRogue @iking @DevonMoore @cwcw @tinaalcorace @Ken Tamplin @Giraffy @Spyk

I tried doing this song again after about a years or so. I thought I'd give it another try thanks to @victortang
This is a pretty tough song, filled with emotion, and I hope you enjoy.
I didn't do much of the harmonies this time, I focused more on the main vocal and getting that chest voice to shine a bit more.
I did SOME harmonies at the start and like at the middle.

Comments

• LoneWolfRogueLoneWolfRogue 2.0 PRO Posts: 265
    I see we have a off-topic emoticon, a disagree emoticon, an agree emoticon as well as a like emoticon where in the heck is the I am not worthy emoticon LOL that was beautifully done!!!!!

Rogue
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    That was really awesome to listen to! I feel a bit strange giving you critique since I can’t do what you can and I don’t know if it’s correct so I hope someone lets me know if my observations are wrong. Around the 3 minute mark “find me somebody to love” I think your scooping a bit and the pronounciation is a bit like “ugh”. You have awesome range but might not be modifying enough on some of the ahs as in love again so although you hit the note it sounds like it splats a bit.
    What I also noticed was you sounded strong throughout. Both you and @victortang have encouraged me to add it to my karaoke line up. 😁
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Diego,

man, I am impressed. You managed to grow your chest voice really good for the short period you are on the course. I think it won't take long until you are able to really connect your voice. You have been given great advice by our mates.

I am really looking forward to hear where the next months and years will take you.

Doc
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    @victortang Thank you victor! I'm really trying to get my voice to a place where it will be considered '' legendary'' which is easier said than done. We' ll get there someday. I'll never stop practicing that's for sure.
    @LoneWolfRogue Thank you so much!
    I an very happy when I know I did justice to one of my idol's songs lol.
    I tried to keep the overall emotion intact while sacrificing a little of the technical aspect to get there.
    edited March 2019
    @blondiewales Thanks man!
    This is what I need!
    I only cut at the end of each chorus (in the transition to the next verse). So I think what happened at 1:15 was me trying to force the distortion to come out and I closed too much so I resorted to a more nasal sound which is something I really regret about that recording. It kind of sound like I'm choking in a way.
    Keep these types of critiques going. Because I feel these are the ones that will keep me going. Be as harsh as you can haha.
    Like I said before. I think I was more driven to convey the emotion that I forgot the technical aspect of things.

Can you elaborate more on me sounding like 3 different singers?

Thank you!
    @doc_ramadani I truly hope my chest voice is growing.

I hope in a few years my voice will be worthy to be considered one of the greats. That's my goal. That's why I want to grow it in every aspect that being(low chest, high chest, head, reinforced falsetto, mix, or even whistle)
    @HuduVudu What do you think of my chest voice here? Do you think it improved?
    https://soundcloud.com/user-661844416/somebody-to-love-dry

I sent this to @blondiewales privately. But I thought I'd share it with you guys as well.
    Tell me what you think. Just so you can see the smaller details.
    @Gaston_Jauregui What do you think of this one?
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    how does your voice feel after you sing this song? I hear a lot of push to get the sound, instead of diaphragm, a lot of rasp which is not the way Ken teaches it, you dont maintain the tract open, with this said, im not saying you dont sound good btw, you do sound good, but this is the main thing, this is exactly why we need to study, something sounds good and we think thats technique!, but we also have to listen to how it feels in the throat, it has to feel kind of like the exercises, you close the throat in several parts too, and thin the sound to the nose, there are some pushes you do to reach the high notes, ask yourself if this is exactly the way you actually do the scales when you pull chest, try to pay attention to that, btw the link here doesnt work, but i heard it on the MJ link
    This song is usually pretty easy for me. It doesn't have that big of an effext after I sing it. Don't know If I could sing it like this night after night though. Could you point out some parts to work on? Just to make it a little easier. Lol sorry.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Diego,

I tried to listen to the dry version but I can not access it. It says "Not found". Did you remove it?

Doc
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    0:31 "stand on my feet" the sound is squeezed in the throat not really coming from the diaphgragm," find me" 0:52 could be better supported, "bones" "my eyes Lord", the Oh vowel is making that rasp, because of the tract being little closed and little darkened by the oh vowel, instead of coming from an Ah, you have to have those notes anticipated mentally, and you have to be singing supporting them from the diaphragm, it might not feel that much, and it sounds good, but im being really picky here, somebody to love 1:32 long loooooove it has to come from an AH vowel, I highly recommend you to look in the videos in the forum advanced vowel transitions video from ken, there, as far as i can remember Ken explains how you should sing "the power of love" "power of lift" "power of led" power of light" "power of lit" that video is Gold in terms of letting you understand how to shape the vowels before you actually sing them, how to approach them, there are more like this in the song but i this is so you get an idea
    hope this helps
  • Michael4000Michael4000 STREAMING PRO Posts: 992
    This sounded really good Diego. I think your voice was a little too soft in certain spots. I would also suggest saying "GOIN crazy" rather than "GO-ING crazy." Well done man.

Michael