Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

The wind cries mary cover

Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
Hi everybody,

in my recording session last day I had the chance to record 2 songs and this is the second one.
I love Hendrix and I think that this song shows his great ability on composition.
I cannot give justice to such an amazing song but we are here to learn and get better and that's why I am uploading this song.

Thanks in advance for those who will find the time to listen and comment.
C.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1uWlJlGi-2USXRgn-OrYzMEkTfzD0wfea

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Claude77,

thanks for sharing. I am a Hendrix fan to. Hendrix really revolutionized rock music. His sound is so orchestral. I never get tired to emulate his sound when playing guitar. He was a real god given gift.

So I am very happy that you picked this great song. You asked for feedback. I will give it to you. Please forgive me my bad english but I am also not a native speaker - I am german.

Since you are not a native speaker I can clearly hear your french tongue. Don't worry about that too much. I have the same problem. It is interesting, with every song I do for the weekly assignments it gets better. One can really learn to mimick the english language. To my personal opinion the thing you could benefit the most is support. You have a nice musically understanding and good pitch but your singing voice could really benefit form better support. It will make your voice stronger and more consistent. And I would also like to recommend to you to watch you timing. Your timing is good but sometimes to stiff. Hendrix is known for his way to make melody lines very unique by delaying some notes. Maybe you would like to loosen up the way you sing some syllables. I think your performance would sound even better.

My 2 cents.

Doc
  • Claude77Claude77 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 213
    edited April 2019
    Thanks a lot @doc_ramadani

A lot of good points to think about and to work on. Hendrix was unique in everything he did and it is impossible to give justice to such an artist.
    Hendrix was really loose while playing and singing and you are right about pointing it out.
    About support you are right as well.
    Support is never enough 😀
    Thanks
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @Claude77 hi again, having listened to the other song first, I would say you did way better on this one, and its actually because you took more care of the points i mentioned on the last tune, you were brighter, so your pitch was a lot better, I would go even brighter, a lot of smile just as ken asks in the videos and also I would ask you to post three scales the regular Lah octave scale (first lah exercise,) second lah scale which is basically the nine note scale on vol 2, and the lah uh oh ah, scale, the one ken does on the vocal tract shaping videos, this three scales are esencial to see how you are doing, try doing them without ken on top of you, just you and the piano scales, so we can point out more details you should work on specifically

hope this helps
    edited April 2019
    Hey @Gaston_Jauregui

Thank you so much for taking the time to listen and give me some help and advices.

You are a great singer and your opinion means a lot to me.

I will follow your advices on both the songs.

About your request here I am with the three scales you asked me

Before you do any review please have a listen to where I was 1 year ago more or less

The bright tone is something I have been told since I joined the KTVA and I really worked hard to achieve the PING and when I listen back to where I was I can say I made a lot of progress but I still need to bright it up :s

Here we have:

the basis LA scale
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1e6FVHdkh9iTdGCako0Na7VeDJF0Dmas2

the long LA scale
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JenY_sIRcb_SUsXJQvhFz5otB23uagl5

and the vocal tract shaping
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LlwDTu6LzE34l41-5k7ziu4-c17M999g

I just want to let you know that I have been classified as tenor and I really struggle on low notes and you can hear it during the scales.

I force myself to work hard to low notes and be able to make them sound better.
    Sometimes to keep the bright sound on low notes I go pitchy because I try to avoid to be airy and find the right ping

6 month ago the D was already really hard but now I can handle C and B.

My lowest notes are around B flat and B but to got them the sound of my voice gets airy.

Thanks again for all the support than you are giving me.
    Claudio
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @Claude77 hi here is what I hear, when you start the first scale you are missing to lower your larynx (as you inhale) a bit more, STILL you have to smile a lot , i noticed you did lower your larynx when going back down on that scale, but you stopped smiling and brightening the sound, this is SO important and will fix a lot of issues, it might make you lose some notes at first, but it doesnt matter, it will correct placement and pitch issues

if you can also work on the support sitting on a bench without a back seat and sustaining your back with your lower abs like this _/ as you do the scales, this will help you achieve a better support

im gonna post you a video Ken did so you understand the importance of the lower larynx position (but still smiling a lot) after a couple of months you ´ll gain more control on that area and will be able to do lower middle and raised larynx position

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64nvAbgO6k
    edited April 2019
    Thank again @Gaston_Jauregui for the help and the clarification about the larynx

I started really focusing on it.

C.