Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

My first session with Ken!!

Hey everyone!

So I just had my first one hour webcam with Ken a few hours ago.

He got right to work and noticed immediately what was going wrong-I was using too much air, using less support on the way down, and closing my sound a bit, as well what as what he called changing my "vocal tract"

We went through some scales and I sang a bit for him. He sttetched me up to a G5 (although I struggled a lot with it:p) and brought me back down, making the high C feel a lot more free.

He stretched my chest and call register quite high, and had me sing a few pieces a half and whole step higher.

Over all it was a great lesson! I can't wait to start applying what I was told to my workouts and start going all the way through Volume 3, as this had been a big problem! I'm hoping to be able to get rid of the air and really brighten so I can grow my voice as much as I can.

Ken also said to talk to him after I've gotten good at compressing and we could focus on hyper compression and distorting, etc.

To anyone who sees this, would you guys mind if I upload a sample, then upload. New one after a week or two of applying my lesson to track my growth, if any?:p I think a big issue was that I hadn't had any bearings on what I was doing or not, so things kinda got away from me a bit. But I'd love to get in there and work this all out!

Just thought Id share, thanks!

Brian

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Congratulations, Brian!!

This was a big step for you, and you will look back on this as a turning point in your development. 

And I'll bet I was right: There was no need to worry, Ken took care of you and went right to the issues you needed to address. 

It's like he's got X-RAY EARS!!! He hears immediately what you need to correct!  And he helps you to understand what you've been unable to figure out on your own, very quickly.  He knows what to look for, too, and can tell many things by watching you on your webcam what's up with your technique!

I bet he gave you a lot to work on.  Enough to keep you going on a surge for some time.

Put up some demos and we'll help you work on your progress.

Good for you!

Rock on, Dude!

Bob

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Glad to hear it was a great session! 1hour with Ken can change your voice dramatically. Can't wait to hear some samples.
  • kamikazekamikaze 2.0 PRO Posts: 193
    Thanks, Bob.and Scott!

And yes it absolutely was a step and you were totally right! He was awesome! Although I felt kinda bad because at the end he told me to sing anything and a song instantly came to me just then which I had struggled with, but was not too sure of the key just then. So he asked for a key and I wasn't really sure, so I hope I didn't give off the impression that I can't find a key and all:0 haha

But he was very nice and funny, just like you said! I was a bit nervous at first, and Linda sang a little nervously at first, but loosened up VERY fast! He identified a bunch of stuff and helped me through it!

Unfortunately I only had time for a couple tracks tonight, but since I've been applying the lesson, I think its been going a little more smoothly (knock on wood!)

By the way, after watching the video, it turns out what I mentioned earlier was called vocal tract shaping. He had brought that up to me on my mods and scales.

I'm hoping to be able to apply this ans start making it a lot further on Volume 3 with back to backs and all and start to really grow!

Thanks so much you guys!

Brian
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ill try to upload a sample this week!
    Hey, I'm really sorry to bother you guys again, but I figured I'djustlet you guys know I just finished the whole Volume 3 without real big roadblocks or holdups! I would usually start to strain by tracks 7 through 12, And I did a bit, but I was able to modify and support and all and made it through! Now hopefully I can just keep this going! (Knock on wood:p)

You guys are awesome! Thanks!

P.S, I still did have a bit of trouble on thebreath track at then though:0

@kamikaze,

You are not bothering us, you are pumping us up! 

In another post I just mentioned that finding support really is MAGIC!  It's not like support is a big secret or anything, but we just don't realize how POWERFUL and IMPORTANT it is until we discover it for ourselves.

People, if you're not nodding your heads in agreement with me right now, then you have an important awakening in store for you... Stop depriving yourselves of this important, vital tool in your vocal arsenal!

It takes a while to build it, so what are you waiting for?

What is really shocking to me is that everyone here who previously tried Singing Success knows that program is in TOTAL DENIAL of SUPPORT and BREATH CONTROL TECHNIQUES.

That should tell you something about those programs in general.  Repeat after me: Nay, nay, nay!  Mum, mum, mum!  Dumb, dumb, dumb!    

Rock on, kamikaze!

Bob

Ahh hey, Bob!

I'm sorry this is a bit late! Busy weekend:0 haha, but thank you so much! Im glad to hear that! I certainly hope Im not!

You're absolutely right, support I an incredible thing!! It totally holds everything together!

I am all about that video of my lesson, by the way! You were totally right! I've been referring back to it every time!

Thanks so much!!

Brian