Home Welcome

Thinking of buying the course and have a few questions

olivegooseolivegoose 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
Hi,
So I have a few questions :)
If I'm only able to practice 30 minutes a day will the course still work for me? I hope to be able to increase it but for now that's what I can do.
Are Ken's lessons easy to follow for women? What I mean is does he do the vocal exercises in a female range or will I have to sing an octave above him?
Should I buy the bundle with the pro packs now or buy the basic course now and work through it and get the packs later?
Thanks

Comments

• 1. Yes, as long as you focus during those 30 minutes. Progress won't be as fast as it would have been if you could do the full workout every time, but you will improve. Be sure to watch the course material several times before jumping into the workouts, so you know what the intention of each one is, and you make the most of your time.

2. Some workouts are split into "divas" and "dudes" versions, and anyone can do either or both, depending on what area of their voice they want to work. Other workouts are for everyone to do.

3. If you can afford it, get the whole bundle now. You can upgrade later (I did), but there is an admin fee involved so it works out a little more expensive. I recommend looking through Ken's free videos on his YouTube channel and training with them for a while so you have an idea of what his teaching method is like, so you know whether it suits you.
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    @olivegoose , great that you are considering getting the course, it is totally worth it. In fact, the beginner exercises which come with the course take a little under 30 minutes, and I noticed great improvements doing just those (I did them for a few months before moving on to the main exercises, you can also move on to the main exercises earlier). The beginner ones are split into male/female versions, the main ones are not, I don't think you do them in octaves. The main exercises are meant to increase your range, so I guess that's why they are the same for both. @Sophia , @highmtn, any thoughts here?

Somewhere I read that 20-60 mins per day are recommended, one hour being better obviously, but you are still in that range. And I believe you will be putting in more time whenever possible as soon as you notice how well it works. you can vary the routine, skip a few scales if you are pressed for time. It will still have a great effect on your voice.

as for the packs, I honestly can't say what the best way is, if you can afford it now, it is probably cheaper to buy it all at once, but there is so much material to work with outside the pro packs that I think you will have a lot to work with without those.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    30 minutes per day will give you results. An hour per day will give you more results. Honestly, some of us who have been doing the course seriously for years, can't come up with a full hour every day. But anything is better than nothing. And this course really works. I bought several before finding KTVA and this is the only one that was even worth the money it cost. So get started sooner rather than later, if you can. We all only have so much time. Use it wisely, and get the most out of it that you can.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @olivegoose it will definitely help but it helps more if you put more into it :) as much as you can, will give you progress the point is discipline
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @olivegoose I second buying the Pro version if you can afford it. It is a bit more, but in addition to volumes 4, 5 and pro packs, you get access to additional videos on the forum that I have found very helpful. I'm new to KTVA as of November 2018, and I'm glad I bought Pro.

Regardless of what you buy, there are literally years worth of material in the sense that it will take that long to master it. That might seem like an outlandish statement, but it is true.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    The really cool thing about how much content you get and how much it helps you, is that you can keep doing it for years and your voice will keep getting better and better.
  • olivegooseolivegoose 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    Thanks everyone for responding :)
    I bought the course!! So excited, I just started watching volume one and will start the warm ups when I'm through the videos. I ended up getting the Pro version. I need to get over the fear of making noise in my apartment. I've told everyone it will effect (neighbors and such) and they're all cool with it. I just still feel that embarrassment. I can practice in my walk in closet which will cut some of the noise. I saw online audio blankets for sale. Has anybody had any experience with how well they block sound. Either way I'm committed to this journey.
    Thanks
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @olivegoose,

I think you made a wise choice.

Since you purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here.

The closet won't be the best place for practicing because you might have a lot of reflections. But don't fear - if you learn it the correct way, you won't be as loud as a trumpet or a 100W Marshall stack.

Doc
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @olivegoose glad you could join us! Welcome!
  • ndangphuocndangphuoc 2.0 PRO Posts: 117
    Just wanna warn you a little bit. This is tough training so it can be frustrating. But it WORKS! :)
  • rickyogimarickyogima 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 69
    It takes me about 24 minutes to go through the Dudes and Divas scales. At first it was rough to get going because I wasn't used to singing. Now I can go through the routine with ease. I've done the scales once a day for 14 months. My singing voice has improved significantly. Today I'm putting most of the day into practice and I'm so thankful I stuck with doing a daily practice because now I can train for longer periods. However, I've discovered it will take at least 3 years of full time practice to get good at singing.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @rickyogima,

Since you purchased the course you should get your forum status updated. Please find the instructions here. We can give you detailed infos in the students' area.

From the duration of the exercises you mentioned I guess that you are on Volume 1. Am I right?

Doc
    oh hello @doc_ramadani - thanks and will look into this forum status thing but I don't do well at all this reading so I don't come on here as much as I would like to and now trying to figure stuff out, lol.

I did Volume 1 for a solid year, and now onto volume 2 and 3, so it's been about 15 months of daily training.
    edited April 2019
    Hi @rickyogima,

okay, have a look at it. This is a public area of the forums and we can not give you as detailed information as if we could give you in the students' area.

I am on Volume 2 and the exercises take me around 75 minutes a day. Do you do the exercises in two versions? - One bridging into head voice, on staying in chest voice?

Doc
    edited April 2019
    hello @doc_ramadani - I submitted my receipt so thanks for pointing that out. yea I always do the dudes and divas (vol 1) in the morning everyday: then I do the Vol 2 scales or 3 a few times a day depending on vocal stamina - some days I can't practice all day

I still don't really understand all the talk with headvoice and chest voice even though I've watched every video on the web about it. All I know is that at one time I couldn't smoothly go through an E4 to F4 and now I can and have broke into G4 (I'm basing this on the insTuner App for iPhone) - I basically do what ever Ken says to do, straighten the arms, relax the chest, open wide the jaw, drop the tongue, etc... It takes me a long time to understand concepts in practice unless I have a teacher beside me pointing stuff out which is impossible to get

I take it you have improved a lot, can you sing for long periods now. I stick to the concept of building up over time, 5 minutes a day for a week, then 20 minutes a day and so on. However the voice probably takes the longest time to develop. Today I plan on having fun and work on a song in Cubase, another complex and slow journey of learning to mix and master my own songs, lol. I use a lot of Autotune and looking forward to the day when I don't have to use it as much which should be another year or two.
    Hi Ricky, @rickyogima

okay, your forum status has now been updated. So you can now access internal students areas where you have dozens of other students helping you.

I would recommend to have a look into this category:

Volume 1 -> Student Progress Reports. There you will find a lot of demos by other students. Probably you want to post there some scales, too, so that we can help you.

Doc
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    @rickyogima hi, this is the best vocal decision you will make congrats for that!