Home Vocal Health and Wellness

STAGE FRIGHT

what to do if you're too nervous to sing in front of a crowd?? I always get that nervous sensation in my throat whenever im about to perform..it's kind of dry my throat to the point that it ruin my voice whenever I sing..

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    maybe warming up your voice before will help? you can't really address stage fright directly. even the big guys/girls say they have it, even after 100s of shows
    you can try this breathing exercise to combat nervousness/ anxiety: breathe in for 5 seconds, hold your breath for 4, and then let the air out for 7 seconds
    oh, and yet another thing which I read somewhere: think of your performance as a gift to the audience, not as something you want to impress them with. I don't know if this will help you much (the throat thing being quite a concrete problem), but I like the general idea behind it. it helps you relax
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Hi mey_luqman98,

Ken has a video on this. I will post it. Also I am going to post a video of a young man that has very clear stage fright but is able to sing through it. FYI both Elvis and Eminem would sometime throw up before performances because their anxiety from stage fright was so bad.

I think the key to getting through stage fright is to know the songs so well that you could do them in your sleep. So even while your mind is panicking your body just knows what to do and goes on autopilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFoN7iHsuk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsNlcr4frs4

Hope this can help you get a handle on your stage fright. :)
  • jaclynserjaclynser Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 262
    @mey_luqman98 Stage fright takes time to get over. Start small, start with just someone in the room with you and slowly try to add more people. A couple of friends at a campfire or something. The more you do it the more comfortable it will start to become. Also try to remind yourself that the audience is on your side. They want you to do well and if you make a mistake.. remember EVERYONE makes mistakes on stage. It's all part of live performance, but the audience is very forgiving. They don't care if you make a mistake. They don't come to hear perfection (which is impossible anyway so don't put that pressure on yourself) they come to feel something. :)

Hope this helps!
    Jaclyn