Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Does overwork myself weaken my abdominal strength?

I was doing practice just fine..then I notice something strange with my abdominal strength..it just not as strong as before..its getting weak(as I try to push my stomach inward)..probably from overpracticing myself..what should I do then??
take a rest and wait for it to regain its strength or just do the practice like a daily basis..

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    i don't think you are supposed to push your stomach in. it moves inward by itself but you should not push. how long and how often do you practice?
  • mey_luqman98mey_luqman98 Member Posts: 92
    but if I dont push my stomach then I wont be able to achieve that bright ping "Lah Ah"..maybe I need to work more on my diaphragmatic breathing..

to be honest I cant remember clearly when did I start practicing..maybe 1 month ago..

and I practice once time a day(around 15-25 minutes).and sometime when I had so much free time,then It would be two times a day(evening and night)
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    alright. yeah just wanted to make sure you are not overdoing it.

these terms (pushing inward for example) are a bit tricky because they can mean different things to different people. so take what I said with a grain of salt. maybe I misunderstood you. I am not a support expert myself (yet), so maybe best if one of the more experienced singers answers this. @HuduVudu @doc_ramadani could you help please?

also, use the search function to read as much about support as you can, sometimes it is a little word that makes all the difference. it is like a puzzle, don't expect one big a-ha moment, sometimes it is a chain of small a-has over a peridod of time :)
    @Klaus_T ohh alright then..I believe maybe I have overwork myself too much..or maybe I actually have a weak diaphragm and need to work more on it..

thanks for helping..and thanks for suggesting that..
    urmm pardon me doc @doc_ramadani or sir @HuduVudu ..im still waiting for your response to help me for this one..
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    edited April 2019
    mey_luqman98, I doubt you have a weak diaphragm. It does however sound like you have weak diaphragmatic support. This video should help clarify for you what that support is supposed to look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv3T-xA28fE
    sir @HuduVudu I know right..before this happen, I was doing practice just fine,using muscle in my abdomen to do the work for me..could it be because of a tired muscle that cause me to lost the strength in my abdomen..
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    Muscles are muscles. If you overwork them, yes they are going to be exhausted. Singing is VERY physical. Just because you don't really see the heavily developed muscles of a singer doesn't mean they aren't there. You need to approach this like any sport. Be consistent, take time off for muscle recovery and don't push past your physical limits. This isn't to say don't push to your limits, but be warned when you do this your muscles will need to be warmed down and allowed recovery.

To beat the horse to death, singing is very very very very physical. Treat it as such :)
    sir @HuduVudu alright..now I get it..seems like I need to take my time off from practice a little bit for the muscle to recover..but it's also important to do sit up(building six pack) right??
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Thanks, @HuduVudu for answering. I was very busy.

@mey_luqman98, good to see that your questions are answered.

Doc
    it's okay doc@doc_ramadani we all have our own life to deal with..I dont blame you at all..