Homeβ€Ί GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Singing by holding air

I remember one day I was binge watching your videos and i learned that we should always sing by not letting the air out much. That was a total revelation for me and you have no idea how much it helped me. Before that I used to constantly hurt my voice everytime I over-practise. Singing my holding the air helped me get rid of the strain as well as in getting the proper diaphragm support. Your channel is the best thing that has happened to youtube. πŸ”₯ Thank you sir! πŸ™

It would be really helpful if you can advise us a bit more on this topic. I tend to let out a lot of air while singing certain style of songs that requires a lot of expression and also when i sing low. Is it ok if we sing like that sometimes or we should always sing by holding air?

I'm a baritone.

Thanl you sir! πŸ™

Comments

• Options
    sanjaymenonsanjaymenon Member Posts: 3
    I would also like to mention I'm able to add rasp and distortion easily in the vocals when I started holding the air in while singing. But a lot of rasp and distortion still hurts my voice though. Hope if i keep practising, i will be able to add more distortion without hurting the voice
  • Options
    WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    There will be times in a song when we might use breathy tones, but like you have said if it is used all the time the cords get dry and hoarse. With a lot of practice you will find ways of getting very similar sounds like distortion without hurting yourself. I recommend keeping the distortion to a minimum for quite some time to ensure your voice has time grow and adapt. There are heaps of free videos he has about all of this and it’s a great way to get a head start if you are not yet purchasing the course.
  • Options
    sanjaymenonsanjaymenon Member Posts: 3
    As of now, I cant afford the course for sure. So I'm relying on youtube videos and practise. But definitely will buy this course if possible, in future
    Cheers! 🀘πŸ”₯