Home The Singer's Lobby

Is There a Cure For Yawning While Singing?

I often find myself yawning during a song, even when I'm not tired otherwise. Has anyone else encountered this problem, and if so, what is the cure?

Answers

• bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    When we apply good open throat technique, the sensation is very close to yawning. You want to create a lot of space in the throat to apply proper technique. The more you train, the better you will become at it, and the unwanted yawning will probably go away in time. I don't know if you apply the KTVA method, or own the program, but i wouldn't worry too much about it. Make sure to keep a bright tone, and use proper abdominal support. Ken has many youtube videos about these subjects as well.

All the best,

Ben
  • Moviefan2k4Moviefan2k4 Member Posts: 19
    I don't own the program yet, but this is something that has plagued me for fifteen years or better. It just started one day, and now when I sing a yawn usually pops up partway through the song.
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    @Moviefan2k4

It is possible you raising your soft palate to sing, and because your body also raises the soft palate when you yawn, that is what is triggering it. When you get the program, working through the exercises should help you to overcome that association.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    @Mysti This is what i also think. When training it through KTVA, the yawning will probably become less and less of a problem. Of course, we can't tell for sure, but there have been other students on the forum with this issue. I am not sure that you will be able to stop this unwanted yawning with '1 simple tip' i'm afraid, but i might be wrong! At the very least, feel free to keep asking here on the forum.

Maybe you can go through all the tutorial videos on Ken's youtube channel? They are a great starting point to learn to bridge and start strengthening your chest voice. There are many, make sure to check out the one about abdominal support before you start doing the exercises.

Hope this helps!
  • HaydenatorHaydenator 2.0 PRO Posts: 28
    I like the yawning sensation it makes me feel like I’m doing it properly and with a smooth sensation feeling to go with it. I was doing it wrong before (singing and I was stretching chest daily and now my chest is all way up hear at tenor stage from base and I had to work on connecting it all very high up top with a smooth sensation tone while also maintaining a bright timbre sound.
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Yawning is very common when learning to sing. It will go away with time as your body just gets used to it.