Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Moviefan's Demos

Hey, all. I wanted to show where I'm currently at in my singing, so people would know how best to advise or help me. If you like this demo, comment here or on YouTube, and I'll make more. Thanks, and here we go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSg0-sNp3A

Comments

• DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    You're mostly on pitch, which is pretty nice!
    You could use better support so you can makes those notes fuller.
    Your going a bit nasal in some parts, which is not bad, but it could use a clearer sound.
    Also, try to ease on the consonants, we want to get a nice open space, consonants close our space, we don't want that, try to use as many vowels as possible.Keep it bright AH!
  • Moviefan2k4Moviefan2k4 Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the feedback, Diego.

I think the accuracy with the pitch is simply because I've been singing this song for most of my life. "Smitty" (as many call him) is one of my favorite musicians, and I have many of his CDs. I'm not sure what you mean by "support", unless you're referring to the diaphragm method which I haven't tried yet. The "nasal" might be my simply trying to reach both extremes with the song, and its not easy. If you noticed, I kept shifting between the higher and lower registers, because otherwise my voice would crack.

As for the consonants, I'm curious - how do you sing any song while trying to avoid them? I saw Ken's video on vowels, but without consonants the sounds make no sense. It goes from being a credible song to complete gibberish.
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2019
    Well there are many reasons getting rid of hard consonants is important.
    The KTVA method has this thing called the Open Throat Technique, and I can't go much into detail because this is not the Student's area. But basically when we sing we want to have maximum space at the back of the throat so we can achieve a really controlled, open, clean and bright note. Sometimes you can't evade the consonant, but you just lightly touch it, or replace it with a similar sounding consonant that closes less space.

What hard consonants do is... they close up that space we need. Meaning we need to reopen each time. Remember we want to have maximun space, and it's good to have that space all the time so that when we go to the high note, we don't choke or squeeze on the note.
  • HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    To follow on with what @Diego is talking about, Ken talks about it in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZATunybJm_4
    Here's my second demo, trying to do things a little differently. What do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri89i7-ApJs
    @Moviefan2k4 Hey dude I listened to your songs. I have some questions for you. How long do your practice and how often? What kind of things do you practice?

I am curious because I would like to help get you moving along. :)
    I don't have any strict practices that I put myself through, but I've been messing around a bit with the free videos that Ken has offered. I can't afford the full KTVA program, since I'm on Supplemental Security with no job.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Moviefan2k4,

then I would recommend to you to do these exercises on a regular base:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXHQJc9L6s

Doc
    @Moviefan2k4 you don't need money to sing :)

What you do need you have a plenty of. How about that :)

First off, if you want your singing to really improve you can't just dabble in it. It is something that you need to commit to doing. I know that the professional singers make it seem easy but imagine this, how much time do you think that they spend everyday singing? It is, after all their full time job, so I think that you can get an idea of how much time that might be :astonished::naughty::tongue:

Doc, linked a good video to start a practice routine. Ken's channel has many many more that can help you. Did I mention that they are free. Take advantage of that. Get yourself in a practice routine. Get in the habit of singing everyday. I do suggest one day off for rest so six days a week should be good for you. An hour a day will get you in the ballpark of where you need to be. Commit solidly into the future. You will need this commitment when things get tough, and they will, but if you really want to become better then this is a necessary step for you.

We are happy to answer on these forums questions that you might have insofar as we can so at least ask the question :)

Hopefully this will get you started on your singing journey.