Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Critique my smoke on the water

Hi singers, i've been learning and practising for the last 6 months, still at an early stage.

I did this recording today, I feel that I am making progress but it isn't accurate at times and I am not happy with my tone and don't know what to change.
My teacher pushes me to remove treble from my voice as much as possible but this tends to make the tone dull.

I know there's still a lot to fix and work on but I'd love to get your criticism and feedback at this early stage!

Thanks

Ihunda

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

lhunda,

Your vocal teacher is incorrect about removing the bright tone from your voice. 

Your pitch is a little flat at times.  Greater support would help to strengthen your voice and prevent pitch errors.

Keep it bright and find support.  This will help you to improve your singing.

Bob

• IhundaIhunda Member Posts: 5
    Hi Bob, thanks for your help.
    I am working on support and will continue, my teacher got that right :)

Now for tone, what I am doing it is yawning to get the soft palate up and increasing resonance, maybe it isn't required for this type of music?

Cheers and thanks again for your feedback

Ihunda
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Yes, lhunda,

You do need to keep the throat open and have a raised soft palate, but you want to really brighten up the tone.  Ken shows you how to make the tone really bright on your AH vowel in his videos.  That's the beginning of getting the basic tone that should be at the heart of everything you sing.

Bob