Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

What Ken Tamplin considers as mixed voice and what does he consider as head voice?

Some vocal coaches say that your high notes are head voice because the sound resides in the head. But some other vocal coaches say that these high notes are mixed voice because resides in the head but you still use your chest. And they sey that head voice is the same as the falsetto registrer.

I'm very confused with these nominations. And I'm confused to find my passagios since I don't know what is mixed voice and what is head voice.

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @thiago3m,

Ken has a very informative Live Stream on this topic. I highly recommend it - golden information:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpWE0n3j0TU

Doc
  • Options
    JB_777JB_777 Member Posts: 2
    Good question...
    I think it’s best to look at what you sing or listen to and classify voice from there. These terms confuse me too. Maybe I can help or maybe I am wrong.

Falsetto is when you sing really light and high without cord closure. It doesn’t allow you to grow the sound. It’s soft and flute like

The head voice for Ken Is like a falsetto that is reinforced. ( there is cord closure) the air is held back.
    By itself the head voice doesn’t mix well with full singing in the chest or middle register.

There is the middle register where we talk and sing without really changing vowels for hitting notes.

The mixed voice is the thing I think many of us want to find and develop. It’s in the same range as your head-voice but it harmonically is full like the chest voice. I have been trying to access my mixed voice by talking in a regular voice but higher in pitch like a cartoon character.

This is the register I think the vowels have to change and there are things like laryngeal tilt and compression going on.

This is just me talking. The proof is in the singing.