Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Mic reverb effect questions

XHellChrisXHellChris Pro Posts: 98
Should I turn on the reverb for vocals during a band practice session in a jamming studio? If yes , how much of a reverb should I use? Any other settings or effects I should try too? Thanks!

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @XHellChris,

I think that this is also a matter of personal taste. I prefer a short slap back delay to give the voice a little space to sit in. Reverb has sometimes the problem to smear up the sound a little bit. When I do recordings I prefer a dry sound without any effects.

Doc
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    If you do use reverb, make sure you give it some pre-delay, so the initial part of the vocal is relatively unaffected, and the trail is affected. Makes the vocals more defined in the mix.
    Typically, I use a bit of delay with pre-delay to thicken it up, and I leave the reverb for the backup vocals to give them the illusion of distance in the mix.
    If you have a stereo PA, you can get more creative with this by panning the lead vocals 25% L and right, and the backup vocal further left or right or further on just one side.
    Gives you an overall bigger sound :+1: