Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Hi everyone, just looking for a critique on my vocal

Sorry for my accent if it's hard to understand. Thanks for any advice you give to help me progress. I did mess it up cause I'm a little nervous when I sing, but I know I have a long way to go, but any feedback would be great to help me progress further.

Aaron

Comments

• maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    In this song you are sounding great. Nice timbre.
  • AaronChristieAaronChristie 2.0 PRO Posts: 62
    Really? Thanks man I know there's so much work to be done, I dont know what to fix first. I feel like it's all over the place.

I appreciate it but because I don't sing in front of people and my adrenaline shoots up when I think I should and its a bit overwhelming.

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Aaron, @AaronChristie

Wow, Man, that is very good. Very nice tone, very convincing performance. I like you lyrics: Drugs never work! - I saw in another post that you are on Volume 3. And form your speaking accent I guess you are Scottish. Am I right?

Aaron, you have a very pleasant, good supported voice. If you are, as I understood, on Volume 3 I could only advice you that you should follow that path you are on. Very good work, so far. Keep on doing good work.

May I ask if this is an original?

Doc
    I wish it were an original Doc, and the song is by the verve called drugs don't work. I sang it up a key and mixed it up. You should give it a listen its a great song.

Thank you, I guess I'm a little hard on myself when it comes to singing. I will continue the path I'm on and will update my progress each month.

Aaron
    Also yes I have a kind of Glaswegian accent, I struggle on switching from the American to the English accent sound.
  • JB_777JB_777 Member Posts: 2
    Howdy Aaron,

You sound good! I am not familiar with the song. However, to me you sound on pitch and in key. I suggest that you step by step get yourself to sing in front of friends and then small audiences and practice under some pressure to get more confidence.
    Thank you @JB_777 do you think there is anything I do wrong though?

Id like to have a bit of roughness or small distortion (like raspiness) when I sing high to bring in the feeling but I know I need to build a clean sound first before trying that. I'm glad you and others are pleased with the recording, it does add to my confidence since you don't know me and it does mean more to hear it from someone on this forum.

Thank you

Aaron
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @AaronChristie - thanks, for sharing. Wow! Very cool. Absolutely love your tone. I think you are in a good place with your voice.

IF (maybe it's not) the song is supposed to be sung in an American accent (say, John Mayer, for example), then the only minor critique that I have is to work on minimizing your native accent (I am from USA, BTW). To me, your accent is almost undetectable, except a wee bit on some words. No big deal at all. Seriously. Like I said, it's just a minor thing that I noticed.

As for sounding nasal, that you mentioned, perhaps a very wee bit, but I actually like your sound the way it is. I think you are crafting your own sound very well. Take it where you think you want it to go.

Good singing to you!

Chris
  • sagemacgsagemacg 2.0 PRO Posts: 240
    @AaronChristie You sound great! I totally hear you about the trouble practicing with neighbours. I rent a practice space but can't get there every day. It's tough. Your voice is really pleasant and you're only going to get better! Thank you for sharing!
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @AaronChristie

Very good great tone, my advice would be don't be over critical, your on a great path vocally just need that confidence and I can tell your a bit unsure of things but no need relax you doing very well.

Vocality
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Hey mate, I know this song very well, I'm from Australia and the Verve was very popular in my high school years. This area of the forum is great for general feed back, if you would like more detailed critique on your vocals in relation to the course you can post it under volume 1 new student demos or something similar. I will PM you a bit later with a detailed response but I agree with everyone else, it does sound very good!
    Thank you @sagemacg and @Vocality i really do appreciate the feedback and @wigs that would be great if you can, thank you.

Hope you all have a good day, I'm currently finishing off my college work, stress is getting to me haha.

Aaron

• AldoAAldoA Member Posts: 2
    The Tone is Pretty nice and your voice is so lovely. Good Going
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    Love your voice, you're pretty good already! Have you tried singing this one (I think you have the prefect voice for it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDVsRsUN9Ac
    @Chris82 I'll do warm-ups and give it a go man

Aaron