Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Learning to sing at 53

DustyFunkDustyFunk 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 48
Hello everyone.

I have always had a passion for singing and a terrible voice. I decided that i would learn to sing and play guitar when I turned 50. So here I am. Hope I can at least get to the place where I like the sound of my voice.

Been singing for fun and I find that it is improving my cardio vascular fitness and lung capacity and it is also a wonderful form of mediation and stress relief.

Mostly I am a crazy music lover so it’s a way of enjoying music more.

If I do manage to achieve my goal it will be a miracle but I’m going to keep trying for the rest of my life regardless

Comments

• maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Welcome! That's the spirit! seeing forward hearing from you. The forum will guide you.
  • DustyFunkDustyFunk 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 48
    Thanks so much
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    DustyFunk said:

but I’m going to keep trying for the rest of my life regardless

Then I have no doubt you are going to surprise yourself someday! Welcome @DustyFunk ! It's good to have you here. The benefits of singing are many, and you don't even have to sing well to enjoy those benefits. I like when people do what they say they were going to do so I commend you. You most definitely picked the right program!

Please don't be shy if you have any questions. You can upload scales or demos and people will be happy to give you their opinion on what to work on. We do weekly assignments (completely optional) here on the forum and everyone sings the same song. It's a good way to get some feedback and practice in.

I look forward to seeing your journey into the world of music and the joy it will bring to your life.

Sounds like I’m definitely at the right place. Thank you so much.
  • @DustyFunk Welcome! You have a great attitude, and I'm sure you're going to enjoy this course. :) I identified with what you posted. I began singing as a way to help overcome anxiety, and I know what you mean about the meditative and stress-reducing benefits of it. I wish you all the best with it.
    Thank you Sophia. I have only been singing for fun in the car so far and I had about 4 lessons which helped a lot but it has helped me so much in so many ways its unbelievable. As my voice gets stronger I feel that I am getting stronger. I started not being able to hold a note and my voice was weak and shaky. It's still got a long way to go but Im hoping this course will get me there quicker. All the best to you too.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    edited May 2019
    @DustyFunk welcome to the forum I am 45 and also doing fitness training that helps and this course will grown your voice amazingly. Been doing the course for 7 months now and significant improvements in many areas, however managed to do 1 hour a day 6 days a week constantly with the main audio workouts.
  • DogMeatDogMeat 2.0 PRO Posts: 437
    Welcome @DustyFunk . I also just started recently, and slowly see results. I feel great in many ways after starting this learning trip.
  • MystiMysti 2.0 PRO Posts: 339
    Hi, @DustyFunk

Welcome to the course! You are definitely in the right place. I am 54 and started the course in February. I am also learning guitar, but am very much a beginner, so we are on similar journeys. If you put in the time, you will learn a lot here. The people on the forums are very helpful too. :smile: When you get a chance, you can post your lah-Ah scale for some feedback.
  • IoannisIoannis Member Posts: 13
    DustyFunk said:

Hello everyone.

I have always had a passion for singing and a terrible voice. I decided that i would learn to sing and play guitar when I turned 50. So here I am. Hope I can at least get to the place where I like the sound of my voice.

Been singing for fun and I find that it is improving my cardio vascular fitness and lung capacity and it is also a wonderful form of mediation and stress relief.

Mostly I am a crazy music lover so it’s a way of enjoying music more.

If I do manage to achieve my goal it will be a miracle but I’m going to keep trying for the rest of my life regardless

You are a hero and a winner!! Wish you the best.
  • Gaston_JaureguiGaston_Jauregui Moderator, Enrolled, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,004
    edited May 2019
    @DustyFunk any time is a good time to start! welcome!
    Thank you @Dogmeat. I am amazed at what a great course this is but mostly all the wonderful people here. Thanks so much

@Vocality thank you so much. Great to meet you. I can't believe the amazing benefits I have got from singing and now I might be able to learn to sing well. I really hope so. All the best to you.
    @Gaston_Jauregui Thank you so much! I am loving being here.
    @Ioannis Thank you so much. Great to meet you.
  • SinaSina 2.0 PRO Posts: 67

I also have 53, but it seems to me that you look a little nicer and younger than me ... do you have any advice? :)
  • JustinJeffersonJustinJefferson 2.0 ENROLLED Posts: 7
    Hi Dusty

I’m 58 and just joined so never fear LOL.
  • WendyJaneWendyJane 2.0 PRO Posts: 100
    Hi @DustyFunk welcome to the forums. I am 50 and have just started my 2nd month on the course and I am begining to see improvements already. Like you I love to sing but I also do it for the health benefits as I had a few vocal chord problems due to MS relapses in the past. I guess "If you don't use it you lose it!" is true. Happy singing and it's great to have you on here. :)
    @WendyJane wonderful to meet you. Thank you for the warm welcome. Looking forward to hearing your voice and it’s great to have a fellow 50 something friend here. :).