Home Newbies Demo Area - for those who want to test the waters!

Eso y mas (I need help)

I didn't learn I could kind of sing until I was 23. I'm 25 now. Does anyone have any tips on what I'm doing wrong? I've been seeing a vocal coach for about 6 months now. https://soundcloud.com/user-871636909

Comments

• HuduVuduHuduVudu 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,818
    I am concerned that me helping you will create conflicts with your current vocal coach. It is my strong opinion that you should only work with one source of information at a time when you are beginning. If you are still working with your vocal coach and plan on continuing to work with them then I advise you to go to them with your concerns. They may be building your voice in ways that you can't properly determine because of your newness. I don't know for sure what their plan is and you may not know either. This is the hard part about learning from any teacher. How can you trust the information that they are providing? You have to make that evaluation and then you have to have faith that they will get you where they say they will get you. Clearly no easy task.

In my experience it is better to learn bad technique consistently from one teacher than it is to jump from technique to technique across multiple teachers. Ideally you would find coach that knows what they are doing and then relates that information to you in a way that you can understand, but in the real world this is far far from a given.

If you have decided that it is time to move on from your current vocal coach then I would be willing to help you understand KTVA's approach, but if you are just looking for quick tips I am unlikely to be able to provide anything substantive that won't be overridden by your vocal coach. Your call. :)
  • mayiskiesmayiskies 3.0 Streaming Posts: 8
    Okay I understand. What drew me to Ken Tamplin wasn’t his singing course. It was how long his journey took and the finished product. I am not looking for quick tips, I’m actually looking to do this the hardest way possible. At the very least can you let me know if there is something there?
    The journey is long. You shouldn't be looking for the hardest way, it will be hard enough on it's own.

I don't understand your question: "... is there something there?" What are you asking?
    Is there something there with my singing? Could I make a living doing this eventually?
    Here is the thing most people don't understand about singing, and I believe to be true of any endeavor. You are not born with a gift. No one never. That is my opinion. I have tons of my own experience to back this up, but many wouldn't agree, that is their prerogative. What I believe people call a natural gift is really the desire to do some particular thing. That is all. The child prodigy isn't more gifted than anyone else other than he is really really interested in the thing that he likes and he does it ALL of the time. I go to a barbershop and the barber was telling me about a little kid that sings really well at five years old. He called him a prodigy. I asked does the little boy sing a lot and the barber responded yes all of the time. I said to the barber, well there it is, the little boy isn't a prodigy he is just practicing constantly. I play a video game called OverWatch. There are professional level players that are doing amazing things in this game. Their aim is unbelievable their teamwork astounding. They are very very good at this game. Some like to stream their gaming. They stream four plus hours a day. They also scrimmage another four hours. One player on a professional team confessed to 10 hours a day 6 to 7 days a week. They do this over the course of years ... YEARS ... not months.

To the question of is there something with your singing ... the answer is: no, your voice is not that good.

To the question of could you make a living doing this ... the answer is: you probably wouldn't want to really make money singing because it would require you to drop your understanding (delusion) of what singing for a living really is.

I am sorry for the cold water, but you need to understand what is necessary here. So here is my final thoughts for you. How badly and I mean that in the most profound way, how truly badly do you want to be a better singer? Because to be a better singer will require you to practice at insane levels. The Catch 22 is that to practice at those levels you MUST make break throughs in your understanding and this WILL be very humiliating. Are you willing to take the pain of failure over and over and over again? Are you really? Ok then sing, learn and sing and learn some more. Do it because you love it because that is what you will do as your job eight hours a day 5 to 6 days a week. When you have built your voice under you then you can look for ways to monetize what you have and a new adventure will begin. It isn't easy and many many many many fail. One thing about it though even if you decide after a time that you don't want to go further you will have gained something great ... understanding and that is worth all the money in the world.

Good luck on your journey :)
    I understand. Thank you very much for your honesty. I actually have an obsession with this and picking up as many different skills as I can. I tell myself all the time it will take me years to get to the level I want to be at. I am seeking understanding through this above all else. Your words will stay with me. Thanks for taking the time to reply and put real thought on how to help me. Good luck on your journey as well.
    Can I check out some of your singing? If you don’t mind.
    Yes, let me get something together and I will post.
    Ok here is a sample of my singing. I chose to do vocals only and completely dry. What you hear is really what my voice is. There are several issues, but I think you get the idea.

This may sound like excuses and maybe it is but, to be fair to the program I think it is fair to disclose what is currently happening with me. I have just been (last week) diagnosed with laryngitis from acid reflux. Because of the acid reflux I have been unable to practice for two and a half going on three months. You can clearly hear the strain in my voice. Thankfully singing is much easier than my workouts, but I didn't have much in me to do this but hopefully it can help you. :)

So here it is:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap3fZt3i8GOugZV0_UuQGaWb-CQn-w
    No I really like the dry vocals. I have been having trouble with support so I get the struggle with the strain. Hopefully your acid reflux gets better because I do like your voice. How long have you been doing the program?
    I have only been doing the program for a bit over a year continuously (not counting my time off recently). I have struggled with my health the entire time, and this has had a pretty serious drag on my progress. I am sure a healthier person would advance a lot faster.