Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Will correction of severe deviated septum improve singing ability?

Hi! I'm a semi professional musician and have longed to be able to sing well enough that people don't run away. I have GREAT ears and can easily hear when pitches are even 1 or 2 cents off. I never had the "pipes" to sing. And even though I know where to place the notes, it seems my aparatus (body/head) wants to reject the pitches, so they are forced into place with a very weak and unpleasant tone. I'm a trumpet player and it's almost like trying to play notes on the trumpet with all valves open when the notes call for one or more valves to be down.

I was hit in the face with a baseball as a kid and have never been able to breathe through my nose. But I'M HAVING SURGERY ON WEDNESDAY TO CORRECT THE DEVIATED SEPTUMS! Do you think this will give me any hope to improve my singing. [I'd be happy to sound as good as Willie Nelson (if you get the context of the reference)].

What do you think?

Best Answer

Answers

• vindibona1vindibona1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. Once I get this thing corrected and healed I think then it becomes worthwhile to pursue vocal training and instruction. As a former college music student I took class voice and hard as I tried getting a pitch to lock in just wasn't going to happen. One more thing... I cannot hear myself singing if there is any other louder music around me. I can do so if I plug one or both ears, but I know I'm listening to my head bones vibrate. I have a similar situation with trumpet. I don't recall having this issue when I was younger, but I sometime have a difficult time hearing myself and often wear ear plugs which seem to help hear myself as well as keeping me from over-blowing.

As a trumpet player who relies on the instrument to lock in pitch I am much more successful with intonation as the instrument is largely responsible for helping find the pitch slot and tone to a degree, but I have always had a rather thin and nasally (though professional sounding) sound. I can feel that I want to allow my head to be part of the resonance chamber, but it's just not happening. It was suggested that I have sleep apnea, and while a candidate for a sleep study I felt that before I go down that road I should have my damned nose fixed, then see what happens. i don't think I mentioned, I also play guitar and bass and gig regularly. I'm tired of sitting in a corner with my instrument. I'd be happy just to do backup vocals. Hopefully there will be mulitple benefits to the surgery. 4 more days... then some recovery.

Can you explain the process of the KTVA process? I assume it's recorded lessons? How does the program work? Can you give me an idea of what it costs.
  • cwcwcwcw 2.0 PRO Posts: 412
    @vindibona1

The KTVA process is video lessons and audio workouts / exercises, with some written course information, and access to the student side of this forum, where a lot of help is available from many really good volunteers.

The course is laid out in volumes - vol 1, vol 2, vol 3, etc. There are different packages, and pricing and options are available at the very bottom of this page in the link.

https://store.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/ktva-sale

As Ken describes in his Youtube videos, ideally you want to invest 30-60 minutes per day, 5-6 days per week, doing workouts. Your time investment and doing the exercises mindfully will produce results. There is no magic here. It's a lot of work. Your progress through the course will be different from others. BUT, the course is really a lifetime worth of instruction. Learning, relearning, picking up on subtle things you've missed in the past, etc. Your voice, an instrument, is really complex. :)

@doc_ramadani (also a trumpet player) is one year on the course, and prior to that could not sing a note. His progress has been phenomenal, but he's still learning and growing.

If you have the self-discipline to do the course, you won't regret it! Also, if you haven't already, spend time trying the things in Ken's Youtube videos. There is a lot of good information, and it will give you a feel for what the course is like.

Chris