Home Off Topic

Here's some of my music I'd like to share to you

Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
edited August 2019 in Off Topic
Hey there,

today I'd like to share some of my original work for all the music lovers here. A little while ago I recorded an album with a couple of songs of mine that I felt were worth being recorded. Stylistically I tried a blend of different elements from Rock, Soul, Blues, Funk and everything else that I felt needed to be on a record ;) and now I decided to put it in here so you can listen to it for free.
This was about a year ago, long before I joined KTVA but for the future I'm quite positive that things can become only better as I just started with the course last month.
So here it is, hope you enjoy, l'm interested in what you think about it:

Comments

• samw2019samw2019 2.0 PRO Posts: 285
    Hi Raphael, I'm goin to listen to your originals and those are my kind of styles to be sure, but your soundcloud link isn't working for me I don't think, will take a listen when it works, all the best!
  • Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    Yes, I noticed it shortly after posting it. I'm sorry I can't find out what's the problem. I loaded it up as private but with the link actually it should be accessible for everybody. I already tried to update the link a couple of times but it doesn't seem to work. Maybe I have to try another possibility again these days.
    Ok, I've updated it one more time. It is now on Youtube, not the most elegant solution but at least you should be able to access it now :)
    Well that was great! Nice one, I liked everything about it and if that's a year ago then will be good to hear more after you've started the course. I could hear a quite a little Beatles in there especially with the harmonies, the vocals were great and the music too. What did you use to record it may I ask? All the best
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Raphael, @Raphael_Hussl

wow, great songwriting - it reminds me a little bit of the songs of my youth - I am 49 years old. :smile:

I love the harmonies you chose and that the bass and some parts of the piano carry the root note of the song through the whole song. There was a band from Britain in the 80's that did that as well. I loved their album. Do you know them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m94ip38UKs

Marco
    @samw2019
    Thank you, Sam, it really lifts my mood to see that people enjoy what I do that much. I started very low-budget with a 2-channel-interface and Cubase on my computer and recorded most of the album that way. For the vocals I used the Rode NT1-A Microphone. When I had all the basic tracks more or less finished or containing the most important elements I gave them to a friend who then recorded drums playing along to the tracks. After all the tracks had been put down I gave them to a professional mixing engineer and afterwards to a mastering engineer.

@doc_ramadani
    Hi Marco, thank you for the feedback and for the link! I didn't know this song at all but it's really great, I will definitely research a little more about this group!
    @Raphael_Hussl , That's no problem Raphael, nice I've got a similar set -up but with Reaper , Rode is a nice mic. and that's great you got real drums on it, I'm messing around with MIDI drums and I'm ok with it, but real drums are what's best, I've contemplated using percussion like bongos purely instead to avoid the robot beats, or maybe using electronic sounding drums which suits a beat programmer. Sounds like you went all out with this production and it certainly worked out.

@doc_ramadani

Nice one Marco, Paul Weller's stuff is great that was a good song, I listened to your link! I had a couple of The Jam songs on couple of days back on a whim he's almost like Bowie in how he can reinvent himself over time with different music, and it always works. Ages ago I heard his solo album Stanley Road from the 90's and that was awesome, all the best!
    @samw2019
    Yeah, the Rode is far better than its reputation. I've come across quite a few people who were more hateful towards it than it deserves, probably because of its slight tendency to get kind of a lisp on the "S"s sometimes but the overall sound is very good. I also know this problem of not having real drums and all the disappointment that MIDI drums give you. That's why some time ago I also experimented with alternate solutions like using percussion instruments. But I mostly used them to create loops to make the tracks as tight as possible which often also sounds too robotic because it lacks the kinds of details that only a good and skilled instrumental player can add to a performance. This, for example, was another recording where I used this method and which I recorded sometime when my album recordings were not yet finished:
    @Raphael_Hussl

Oh I thought they were supposed to be rated good, but it sounds good at any rate! I guess the metronome is always going to have that robotic problem whether it's real instruments looped or electronic (my figuring is at least with electronic drums like those retro 909 things, it's meant to be that way.) But I listened to this other song with the looped percussion and the perc. seemed pretty cool, much superior to MIDI drums I think, it's a good option for home demos or solo recording. Nice slide guitar there and nice song again, all the best.
    @samw2019
    Thank you! Yes, I think the most important thing is just to keep looking for new creative solutions, it's always about different sonic elements and trying to create something that sounds unique. There's actually no limit to the number of possibilities how you can create rhythm for your songs. I'm curious to maybe hear some of your music some day. All the best to you, too.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    @samw2019

You are right, Paul is a phenomenon. It is very interesting how some artists develop (mature) over time and some doing the same stuff over and over. I like the punkrock vibe of "The Jam". It was a great mixture between Brit pop and punkrock.

Doc
    @Raphael_Hussl , No probs I enjoyed it! 100% the possibilities are endless with computer recording programs, to make unique sounds and songs and apart from the click track it's really awesome. I'm liking the idea of percussion even if it's looped I think for a future solo project. Well I've got some music on my youtube, a cover and an original pre-KTVA (i'm looking forwards to getting some music down using this technique). It's me solo, I've got my band recording but I don't have permission to upload that to a channel yet unfortunately. Thanks if you do get chance to listen, and I'm going to try and post some new music I make using the technique once I get a little adapted in Volume 1. Here's one of mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrnS5YwdpUI

@doc_ramadani , Paul's songwriting baffles me! He makes it sound easy to say something meaningful with a few words and a melody, then I go to try myself and I realize how good he is a writer as well his music and singing. The Jam are really timeless, it's punk hybrid like you say but it outlives it's genre and stands alone somehow. Peace! from Sam
    @samw2019
    Great! Thanks, your vocals sound really good on this one, I like a lot that kind of old-school-sounding distorted vocals that sound like they're coming from some vintage tube radio, very cool.
    Greetings,
    Raphael
    @samw2019:

Hey mate, I listened to your demo. You have a great tone to your voice - sounds really cool. Man, think of where you will be in 1 year when you follow the course constantly.

Doc
    @Raphael_Hussl , Thanks man! I got turned on to the radio distortion filter sound effect, a VST called Nick's Tube Driver or something like that, and I ended up putting it on a fair few pieces in a row. All the best and thanks again.

@doc_ramadani , Thanks man! Can't wait to become adapted and see what's possible in year(s) time, I've been quite strict for me and not gone snooping into the other Volumes yet but KTVA is a lifetime pursuit I think. All the best, thanks again, from Sam