Home Psychology of Singing

How do i learn to like my voice???

does anyone have any advice on learning how to like your own voice? when i sing in general i feel great, but  when i try to practice while monitoring myself with a mic, i get nervous about what i hear ,and i cant sing my best .   

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

It takes time. 

The more you record yourself and listen to the playback the more you will eventually start to like what you hear.  This may not be the case at first.  Sometimes you will just hate the way your voice sounds on playback.  There MAY be a reason for that, if you've never listened to yourself much. 

It helps to just go ahead and sing and try to get used to the sound in the monitors and accept it as OK.

You may have some things about the way you sing that you will want to correct.  Just don't get caught up in beating yourself up.  It might not sound that bad to someone else.

Our voices sound different to ourselves than they do to someone else.  We are used to hearing our own voice through our skulls and it just doesn't sound the same to others as it does to us.  For that reason, we may be startled when we hear ourselves on recorded playback.  You have to get over that self-loathing response and self-consciousness so that you can get down to the business of really listening to what you like about your voice and what you don't like so much.  Then you focus on what you can improve that you don't like, and what you want to emphasize more that you DO like. 

Chances are, you are going to be your own worst critic.  Be honest with yourself about what you are doing right and what you want to correct.

Follow Ken's instructions exactly.  The ways he shows you to sing will bring out the best in your tone and strengths. 

You need to plan on attending the next KTVA Webinar.

Saturday, March 9, 10:00AM PST – How To “Find Your Own Voice”

You may find answers to some of your questions on that webinar.  Or perhaps you can ask Ken directly at the end of the Webinar when he usually does a question and answer portion.

Don't be discouraged.  We have ALL, and I mean ALL been horrified at the sound of our own voices at some time or other.  It's something we have to get past so that we can move forward to where we want to be... 

It's just a stage in learning to become your best.   You'll get there!

Bob

• musicaddict02musicaddict02 Enrolled Posts: 2
    thanx for the advice! 
    i will definitely attend that webinar , i find them really helpful .sadly i missed last weeks,do you by any chance know where i can find last weeks webinar?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited February 2013

Enrolled KTVA Students can find the links to last week's webinar in the Webinars Category of the KTVA Forums, in the post titled ***Download Webinars -  Part Two***