Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Very long Uvula

I have been working at singing for a very long time and still have a problem. I have a very long uvula that touches the back of my tongue. Even when I say it's the "la" it doesn't go up very much or even when I yawn. I am going flat a lot and when I go up it sounds as I am "pushing". Should I have it shortened? Am I just doomed and will never be able to sing ? Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    edited August 2019
    I’m no expert but I wouldn’t have it shortened. All of our voices are unique to us and that’s because everyone’s vocal tract and anatomy are a little bit different. Having a longer uvula will more than likely have an effect on your timbre but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing since it will make your voice sound different than other peoples.

If you’re working on lifting your soft palate then you are more than likely new to singing and I would focus on mastering the basics first before considering surgery.

• carolbcarolb Pro Posts: 17
    Thanks Chris. I do have a darker timber. But I'm wondering, do you think it might be cutting off too much air thus making me go flat? or as you said, should I focus more on vowel modifications ?
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I’d make sure you are singing with proper technique first. It could just be that your uvula is long but it could also be that you’re not lifting your soft palate high enough and not lowering your tongue low enough.
    Thanks Chris .
    I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has a uvula very long that it touches your tongue and that you can still sing well ?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I never noticed before now but my uvula touches my tongue when it's in a neutral position, I still manage to lift it right up out of the way as well when ascending. I think I can sing ok now, and waaaay better than before I started the course. It's strange that it doesn't raise when yawning, does this happen when you actually yawn or just when trying to recreate the sensation?
    Boy or boy. I have a very difficult time getting it to raise. I have to contract the back of my throat and I'm actually holding my breath a really squeezing to get it to lift. I don't think it should be that difficult to get it to lift. Otherwise, my airway is largely block by the uvula. It only goes up a little when I yawn. Otherwise I have to really squeeze. I'm getting very discouraged.
    Maybe I'm just not lifting the soft palette correctly ?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I see that you haven't loaded any examples yet. Times like these when we go back and forth trying to figure things out it's best to load a video in the student area so we can really nut out the problem. 2 basic lah triads 1 for bridging and 1 for chest. I've got a YouTube account for my demos and you have a choice before uploading to make them public, unlisted or private. If you make them unlisted you can copy the URL and paste it in a new thread, then only the people that have access to student areas will be able to view it. You won't be able to find your video in YouTube by searching for it. Hopefully we can help you get to the bottom of this and get your uvula to the top 😁
    Thank you so much ! xo
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @carolb,

I agree with @Wigs: it would be great to have videos of the LAH scale in 2 versions. This could help us to help YOU. And this is what we are willing. :smile:

Doc
    Thank you. I will, and I deeply appreciate this very much.