Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Set List Question regarding singing

Hi all,

Quick question.

Is it better practise to put the more “delicate” songs of a covers playlist towards the front of a set than the back. The reason I ask is that, as I’m still learning my craft, after about an hour of straight singing my voice gets “a bit rough around the edges” and so some of the more delicate notes of a song have the potential to be off. I can sing them just fine ( or so I think haha) but worried if I try them after an hour of wear and tear they may sound flat.

So some of the more tender songs in the play list are Lady in Red, More than words, and Cant help falling in Love. Then as contrast in the set are songs like Creep, Final Count Down and Buck Rogers ( its a VERY mixed crowd I’ll be playing too!)

So any general set list advice would be great.

Thanks to everyone who responds!

Peace

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @PeterM83,

I would do the more demanding sounds (regardless if soft or heavy) not at the beginning of the set list. Start with easier ones and blow your pipes later. :smile:

Doc
  • PeterM83PeterM83 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply doc!

I get what your saying about "blow the pipes" haha but by the same token, the gentle songs require a certain amount of finnesse as opposed to blow out, do you reckon they would still be best placed at the end?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Peter,

if you have good vocal technique this should be no problem. And I think the dramaturgy of the set list plays also a very important role.

Doc
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    It also depends on how well you warmed up. Personally, if i have enough time to warm up, i don't mind vocally challenging songs in the first part of rehearsing. Maybe not the MOST difficult pieces, but i don't necessarily have to start with my 'easiest' song. It can also be intermediate or challenging.

Ken say to keep the most difficult songs for later in the set, and he is right i think. But like @doc_ramadani said, it really depends on your technique. If it's not good, then you will have even less of a chance singing your challenging songs at the end of a set.

Starting with your easy and/or intermediate songs is the way to go i think. I would also prefer that, as it also builds the set a little.

Hope this helps,

Ben
  • Chris82Chris82 2.0 PRO Posts: 594
    I don’t know about you but I find finesse and vocal agility to be easier not harder after a period of vocal use and my voice is fully warmed up. If your cords are getting fatigued then perhaps you’re oversinging?