Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Demo A Cappella Ray J + Mario Cover

Hey guys. I just wanted some input on what you thought about these little A Cappella covers I did for Ray J's song War Is Over and Mario's Braid My Hair. They're just demos. I'm just trying to test the waters and see what I can do with my voice, you know? Is there anything you guys can tell me that would help me be more aware of my singing? Like things I'm doing wrong, things I'm doing right, etcetc? I really appreciate it immensely. I really wanna sing R&B more than anything in the world and one of issues I've been having is being able to sing consistently on a day to day basis. Some days my legato is really smooth I have a lot of depth in my lower notes and ping and brightness in my upper range, but then other days it's like my voice is hitting a brick wall you know. I know that's a part of singing, but I still wanna be able to sing at least on some level everyday even if I'm not always gonna sound 100% every single time. Nothing would make me happier than to get to that level.

Here are the demos:

Comments

• Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    I think your voice sounds good and is well suited for that R&B stuff. I am not an expert by any means, but it might be that you are using too much air/too little support, it sounds like that a bit in places, and it would explain the vocal fatigue you mentioned in the other post. what is hard to say from acapellas is, how good your pitch is. if you can, it would be really great if you could share a song with a playback, so we can hear how well on pitch you are. I think there is a good chance you can get to the level where you can consistently sound good without the need for excessive breaks, it is all a matter of building a solid voice, which is achieved by doing daily exercises (the right type of daily exercises, that is)
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @Kaizer

Yes would agree with @Klaus_T it would be great if you could re-post the demo with a backing track it gives us a better idea gauge your ability to pitch correctly.

:) Vocality

• KaizerKaizer 2.0 PRO Posts: 164
    @Klaus_T That's exactly what I thought my issues were as I just mentioned in the other post just now! lol insane. You're right, I definitely need to practice consistently everyday too. Maybe I just need to be guided by somebody for a short period of time to make sure I'm not doing the exercises wrong or off a bit you know? It might just be that I'm doing relatively well but my daily exercises are slightly off and in being slightly off they're causing those issues within my voice. I'm gonna post another demo at the end of this post. It's not the best so just let me know if another would be better, it's from 2 months ago.

@Vocality Sure, this isn't the best one but since I already have it posted up from June maybe it'll help you guys tell a little bit where I'm at. If you need another one just let me know and I'll record something more recent within the next few days or so. And thanks for your comments, I truly appreciate them a lot and they make a huge difference.

@Kaizer

You clearly have your style you want to aspire to, nice tone but pitch remains an issue that can be sorted though, can I ask are you planning to start the course? If so you will progress well and have a more solid foundation to build your voice on.

Advice we get especially when starting is to sing a song well within our range to start with, simple melodies some thing we can easily sing and work our way gradually into more difficult songs. That particular song has some vocal runs that require agility, to be able to do them well we need to build strength an stamina and good solid pitch.

No doubt you can do that song just gonna take time.

Vocality :)
    @Vocality Thanks so much for your input and wisdom. I definitely plan on starting the course. Right now my range is from about A2 to G4. G4 is sometimes pushing it a little bit but I can still land on it with effort and go higher at times but consistently singing and doing vocal warmups higher than that tends to cause me to strain and everything. I found that some good songs in that vocal range are Chris Brown's With You, Mario's What Your Name Is and a few others. I'll continue working on my pitch. I'm not really sure how to build agility, strength or stamina though.. Maybe that's the next step. Thanks again Vocality I appreciate your support immensely.
    @Kaizer Ken has a lot of free tutorial videos, it’s good to see your planning to start the course, now in the mean time, watch ken’s free YouTube videos on diaphragmatic support, open throat, head, chest voice and pitch.

The most important video diaphragmatic support, watch this plenty of times and follow his instruction. This will give you a good start prior to starting the course.

https://youtu.be/Wv3T-xA28fE

Vocality :)

Thanks so much @Vocality, I truly appreciate it! Will do. Can't wait to get into this more. Thanks for your guidance, it makes all of the difference in the world.