Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Aloha, I'm Barbie :-)

Aloha!
Before I returned to Florida in 2009, I lived in Hawai'i, Alaska, Upstate NY, and Vermont. Am brand-new to KTVA, got the Gold bundle.. the whole kit and kaboodle, because I have really high goals for myself. Why not? I've been singing since I was a kid in the back acre, slamming out the words to "My Clementine" after hearing it on my fav cartoon, "Huckleberry Hound." After that, I sang in the 3rd-6th grade chorus, church choirs, then with all the windows up and the radio blaring in my car (LOL), and then discovered Karaoke. My first time I had to sing with my back to the audience, I was so scared, and then I happened to glance over my shoulder and saw no one was looking! Several years later I went on to win 1st Place at a Karaoke contest singing Kansas' "Dust in the Wind." Fast forward to 2013 when I found out by accident (folks were stopping and taking pics of me) that I look a lot like Stevie Nicks. I went to her concert, and her own people even thought I was her! I quickly corrected them :-) of course.
I tried singing some of her songs at Karaoke, where the crowds began calling out how much I sounded like her, too. Whoowhee! Could be worse!
Besides that, my influences include the Bee Gees, Arlo Guthrie, Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Carly Simon, Gloria Estefan, and many more.
My biggest challenge is the low volume of my voice right now due to need of confidence and professional training. I have been through a lot in life.. caregiver to both parents, ex husband and then-husband.. all who passed away from terminal illnesses recently and within a few years of each other. I'm remarried now, to my best friend from High School. I am still recovering from the family losses and regaining my strength after enduring excruciating withdrawals from quitting Rx Xanax and Tramadol just 17 months ago. I haven't done any singing in public for almost two years now.
My goals are numerous and huge. I ultimately want to become a strong singer with great showmanship, and perform covers from the 70s, 80s, and a little of the 90s as well as original material.. on stage at fundraisers, concert halls, arenas and perhaps even do a little touring. I want to help the audience escape their troubles and go back to their better days through my singing and stage persona. Do I want to meet Stevie Nicks? You bet I do!
Even though I've been singing for most of my 62 years, I'm already learning how much I DON'T know here at KTVA, just watching the first few videos. I'd say one of my first big hurdles will be remembering to use my diaphragm. I'm so glad I signed up for this.. I am open to learning, and can hardly wait to get started!

Comments