Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

An X teacher and cord closure

Hey all, I have watched some youtube video of an X teacher before where he said that to sustain a longer lip roll it is not a matter of support or diaphragmatic breathing, according to him it is about cord closure. What is your opinion?

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    HI @mark90,

personally, I think that this statement is not correct. To sustain the Lip Burbles it is crucial to have good breath management and solid support.

For me, the Lip Burbles are a very good exercise to practice breath management.

Doc
  • mark90mark90 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks @Doc, I think so too.
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    No wonder Ken says there's so much misinformation out there 🤣 You definately need to be able to control your breath to get a longer sustain on the burbles or any note.
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Of course you need cord closure as well for the lip burbles, but it is indeed more a bridging and breath management exercise. As for support, ALL your exercises and singing needs support. It just isn't the same without it.

By doing all these things correctly, you can even do a lot of lip burble scales in one breath, but that may be a bit advanced for beginners.

Good question by the way!

All the best,

Ben