Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Nasoendoscopy - To check Vocal Cord Health

Hi guys, has anyone here ever had a visit to an ENT for a Nasoendoscopy to check Vocal Cords? If so what was your experience and what made you go in the first place? Thanks

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited September 2019
    Hi Kyle, @kylevox1987

a laryngoscopy via nasoendoscopy is a very reliable diagnostic procedure in medicine. It is neither harmful nor stressful for the patient and has a very high specificity and accuracy. Whenever a person has issues with the voice we are doing it regularly.

Do you want so see a video how it works - and it is not painful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGds2GAvGQ

Doc
  • maximgottmermaximgottmer 2.0 PRO Posts: 313
    Great video doc, what a surprise when rhey start singing. The epiglottis is moving a lot.
  • kylevox1987kylevox1987 2.0 PRO Posts: 39
    Cool video! The one on the far right looks a little swollen to me? Or are they all normal?

So, I've been having strange issues with my voice for a few months now. The first night I sing great, last Saturday for example I thought it was the best I had sang in ages, but the Sunday night I seemed to have a slight rasp and mucus sensation in places and areas of my voice. I always warm up, always drink plenty water etc, and in the past I've been able to sing 3 shows in a row no problem. So it's definitely odd. I do get allergies and sinus problems now and again but usually in the Autumn / Winter months, not the Summer! This has been ongoing thing since the end of July, one gig clear, next gig not etc!

So due to this I thought I should ask my doctor to refer me to an ENT for a proper look at my vocal cord health and rule anything out. Do you think this is wise?
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi Kyle, @kylevox1987

I think it is a good idea to consult an ENT. It would be best if you do a gig the evening before. Blow the pipes and the check it the other day.

Doc
    Okay. I suppose it depends on when I can get an appointment at the hospital. I was thinking it would be best to aim for midweek when my voice has rested from the previous weekend, to see how it is in a rested state? That might be more useful to see if there's any damage in my vocal cords, without the added swelling from use? If you get me?
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    I had one done a few months back and it was fine. Its a bit trippy when they insert that snake through your nose, but just go to your happy place and ignore it.
    Turned out that they caught the after-affects of reflux burning my folds and surrounding tissues. On to proton pump meds and glutathione to stop it cold and help repair the tissue damage.
    Luckily I caught it in good time, as the folds themselves had perfect closure still and nothing was horribly amiss.
    What trouble were you having with your voice prior to the ENT visit Phil?
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    Weird dry coughing spells when I was talking or singing... waking up with a scorched throat etc.
    It was setting me back like the old song 2 steps forward, 1 step back.
    I also had very inconsistent access to my upper ranges and almost always a stripped feeling like I had just thrown up or something like that.

Doing allot better now, but not 100%. I've got about a dozen tracks I have to sing on, so I am hoping to be able to start tackling them by late October or early November.
    Woah yeah sounds like bad reflux there. My issue is simply a raspy mucus issue. One gig is fine the next it's like that. I have a humidity issue in my room as it gets around 60-70% and higher which I know is a haven for dust mites, which I'm allergic too!! Looking at getting a dehumidifier to see if it helps!