Home Off Topic

Did I jump the gun????

jpachecolmjpachecolm Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
I was just wondering if anyone else has done what I did?? I have been working on Ken's program since October and I'm currently on volume 2. I really feel like I need a one on one lesson, but the price is steep right now. Also, how often would I need to take one on one lesson's to really improve? I love the program and I definetly feel like I am ingrained in its method. I thought about it and thought about and I finally did what I stopped doing months ago, I signed back up with my former vocal instructor. I really like the feedback and having someone to ask questions to and getting an answer as I hit a rough patch in whatever I'm practicing. After the lesson though, I had a feeling of "did I do the right thing"? I really don't like the exercises are used and I'm so used to Ken's program that I don't know what to do?? If I could just have the ability to have lessons more frequently to get feedback and have questions answered it would help me tremendously. If I'm missing something here at KTVA that would help me with that, I would appreciate the advice. Taking a lesson with Ken would be wonderful, but I don't have the cash to do so more than once per year. One thing that has been sticking in my mind is a youtube video I saw of Ken stating that if it's worth it to someone to do something they feel is important, they will find a way to get it done. I appreciate any comments or advice anyone can give me......

Comments

• voodoovoodoo Pro Posts: 250
    No one can vouch for the credentials of an anonymous vocal instructor and it doesn't particularly sound as if you feel it was worth it.  I will not pay for any other coaching or training material after finding Ken and KTVA.  The forum is here for Ken (when he can) and others here to help answer your questions, and Ken opens up each of his webinars at the end for questions related to that subject.  That's free access to the best rock/pop vocal coach in the world.

As far as vocal training you usually get what you pay for (if you're lucky).  Three or four lessons with a local instructor would be about the same as getting a half hour from Ken.  Which do you want, quality or quantity?   I would suggest booking a half hour session with Ken.  Go into your session with Ken completely warmed-up and well prepared with a list of your most pressing questions and issues.  He will identify what's wrong, fix it with you, and also hit you with enough info to keep you busy for months.  KEN REALLY IS THAT GOOD.  You will not be able to remember everything he tells you, but he records it and sends you a link to the download file (Bob also suggested somewhere on here that you record from your side also if it's a web session).  I don't have regular sessions with Ken and I look forward to every visit.  Good luck to you!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited March 2013

jpachecolm,

The YouTube video of Ken where he talks about what is most important to you and finding a way to do it is one of my favorite Ken Tamplin videos.  I just laughed out loud the first time I listened to that one, because it is so true.

I've mentioned here on the forums that my biggest regret about KTVA is that I waited so long to get started.  I felt like it was too expensive and I had to "wait".  All I did was postpone getting started on my journey.  Delaying cost me something that money can't buy: TIME.  I am one year behind where I would have otherwise be right now, because I waited, thinking I couldn't "afford" KTVA.

I've spent a lot of money on a number of vocal training courses, and they were all worthless compared to KTVA...  KTVA was the ONLY one that REALLY taught me how to ROCK MY VOICE!!!  The rest were all cheap imitations! But they drained my wallet.  KTVA has been an investment in my SELF.  It has paid off more than I would have ever thought it would. 

I found a way.  I'm in the same financial place I was in when I first was thinking I couldn't afford KTVA.  Only now I can sing a Whole Lot Better, and I really feel good about that!

Chances are your local vocal teacher disagrees with or contradicts many of the things Ken teaches.  Unless they themselves are a KTVA student or graduate, they are probably NOT going to reinforce what you learn at KTVA. 

As voodoo says, perhaps a half-hour with Ken every few months would be the best thing you could ever do for your continued development.  When I have a session with Ken I do record video from my side.  I also make a CD of the audio and listen to it over and over as he corrects me and gets me going where I need to be.  A lesson with Ken will really put you into gear.

Good singing to you!

Bob

• jpachecolmjpachecolm Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
    I hear what both of you are saying. I just get frustrated with the fact that I put so much pressure on myself, that I make things bigger than what they are. I agree that Ken is awesome and if I add it up, 3 months of what I'm paying now will equal a one hour session with Ken!!! I guess a lesson with Ken every 3 months will surpass what I got myself into.

I really believe that KTVA has improved my voice, I just need verification by someone every now and to help analyze my strengths and weaknesses. This is what I felt was lacking. Thank you for the quick and detailed responses from both of you, it has made me realize that I made a decision from the hip, rather than thinking it through.
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Book the session with Ken! I'm not lying when I say you will be amazed. Plus you can analyze your voice yourself when you watch it back. This will help you monitor yourself and grow even more.
  • jpachecolmjpachecolm Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
    Ok, all of you have made me feel like I did jump the gun. After I get over this brochitis I caught, I will work myself back up and then book the lesson. I know that it will be worth it. I know that he is the best out there and when I do book a lesson, I have to go into it prepared and not to get nervous with whom I'm learning from......Thanks for the reassurance
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Ken is really smart.  He knows more about KTVA than even me!!! I don't know how he does it!!!

Seriously, he will cut to the chase so fast your head will spin.  Talk about putting a booster rocket on your Ken Tamplin Vocal techniques!!!  If you want to learn Ken's techniques, look no further!  Go to KEN!

Bob