Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Helloween Dr Stein. - Is this good enough quality for youtube?

Hi Guys,

I have been singing for 4 years, 2 and a half year at KTVA.
I recently considering making youtube videos and my first try was Dr. Stein from Helloween.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dWh6due74qbG-PnRJRZ27KailitH4Yfx

If you watched the video, thank you so much.
Any feedback or constructive criticism is appreciated.

Happy singing to you!

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Csesztes,

wow, I haven't seen you here for a long time. Good to have you back. Man, I can hear a lot of proper KTVA technique and very good singing skills. I think you are absolutely ready to start a Youtube channel. Your rendition was very, very good. It is a pleasure to see you to hit those high notes with ease. To my ear you were a little bit flat on some ones but you should be able to fix this with some attention.

Before you start your YT channel you could refine your recording and mixing skills. You presented your demo "dry" - without any effects like reverb and delay. Our ears are used to perceive these spatial effects and if we do not hear them we might be irritated. This is unnecessary. If you learn some tweaks and tricks about EQ, compression and effects, you can make your recording compatible with radio-ready recordings.

May I ask from which country you come from?

Doc
  • DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
    edited October 2019
    You do a very good job of not using many consonants and keeping all of your vowels open, not really closing much.
    The problem you are having may come down to your support in the higher range, since I can tell most of your notes are pretty shaky (You have some really good moments). You have a little Caprino vibrato in some spots, which I don't mind (I actually like), might be a stylistic choice, but I know Ken is not particularly fond of it.

You have a pretty power metal tone. You also have to practice your placement on some parts that should be easier for you. For example: 4:41 you didn't have a good placement so you didn't get a good consistent vibrato and you tried to add some vibrato to it but failed, but THEN at 4:45 was a much better placement and you got a natural consistent vibrato with resonance, at then end of that phrase you started changing your placement so you got like a little crack. 4:48 sounded awesome, didn't sound like forced distortion because it was consistent and it wasn't breaking up.

Overall, pretty good. You have the tone down pretty much, work on placement and support man.
    You can start the YT channel right now because you are doing fine, but if you want to start off being much better than you are now, then practice a little more.

-Diego
  • CsesztesCsesztes Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 102
    Thank you guys for taking the time listing to it and writing your detailed feedbacks.
    I really appreciate it.

I think I am going to stick to practice for now plus improve my editing skills as Doc suggested.

I am from Hungary.

Thanks a lot. :)
    @coffeecrank Thanks for the encouragement. :)
    Doc and Diego both made some good points which I would like to reflect upon first. :)

Good luck to you though and as you said, do not let haters discourage you. \m/
    Also, thanks for listening to my cover. :D
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    edited October 2019
    Hi @Csesztes,

since you live in Hungary you should absolutely the "nerve of the time" since I hear that the Hardrock music of the 1980s seems to be very popular over there. I think with some good work on the sound and the look of your planned Youtube performances it might work very well.

Doc
    edited October 2019
    Hi @doc_ramadani

You are right.
    There are two big rock bands at Hungary which I would consider true 80's heavy metal genre.
    Pokolgép and Ossian.

I used to play lead guitar in a Pokolgép tribute band where we played a few Ossian songs, now I sing in an Ossian tribute band where we play some Pokolgép songs. So my I am true 80's metalhead even though I am only 28. :D

So yeah, I also assume there would be demand for it.
    However, I will refine my skills a bit more, I think I will start at the new year. :)
    Hi @Csesztes,

please keep us informed.

Doc
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    Wow your high vocals were good! I haven't had the guts to put my self into the public area of the forum yet so well done just for that. @doc_ramadani and @Diego have given you really good advice regarding your mix and technique. My comments are more around the video aspect. Take note of your favourite youtubers and the camera angles they use, how they interact with the camera if at all. Do some dry runs where you try and copy cat them, this will give you a feel for what you like and what works for you, eventually just like in your singing your personality will come though the video as well and both of them together will make something special to watch.

Looking forward to it mate!
    Thanks @Wigs . I appreciate your comment. :)
    Yes, I am trying to work on my editing skills, however I discovered that I really hate tinkering either with the video or just the sound. Nevertheless, it is mandatory if I want to make quality content.
    Hey Guys!

Today during practice I recorded some song.
    This time footage is totally raw and singalong with original song. ( I know I am lazy. :D )

Heed - Nothing ( Daniel Heiman )
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KMYiaHgEyQsXhbcRE4xqrgBDmzAhqJAh

Irod Maiden - Aces High ( Bruce Dickinson )
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oFwwapkCc-RiwEm6pLV7Bo3iZ-bhI14s

Hope you enjoy. I made some funny faces. Haha.
    Also, as always any feedback on technique is appreciated. I know there is much room for improvement. :)

Rock on my singing friends! \m/
    Hi friend for the lands of Dracula,

not bad. You were a little bit pitchy on both of the recordings but had some very nice tones on your head voice. For Youtube I would chose a little bit wider perspective and and nice background. Youtube users are pretty spoiled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIUvXyYIc2w

Doc