Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Led Zeppelin - Communication Breakdown

Hi, guys. I chose to sing Communication Breakdown by Led Zeppelin. Now, my vocal range is nowhere near to vocal range of Robert Plant, and I'm a baritone, so I sang it on an octave lower. Please, tell me what I'm doing wrong. As far as I hear, I sing "oohh, baby" the wrong way and close down the "ooh" sound. And I last "drives me insaaaaane" I was actually on a half-step lower :)

So, please give advice what I need to practice more and sorry for my bad english in this track :)

Comments

• doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi @Whitesnake,

it is very hard to give you good advice on song demos. I would recommend to you to post a demo of the basic LAH scale Ken uses in so many of his free videos.

Doc
  • WhitesnakeWhitesnake Member Posts: 131
    edited October 2019

Hi @Whitesnake,

it is very hard to give you good advice on song demos. I would recommend to you to post a demo of the basic LAH scale Ken uses in so many of his free videos.

Doc

Thanks, Doc! I'll try to do demos of LAH scales.

@Whitesnake Cheers from a fellow Russian. :) LZ is not easy to sing, it's more than just going high in register, it's about all these vocal tricks Plant uses in his songs. I would focus on the pitch right now, it seems it's a little off most of the time. You could try changing the key to stay in your comfortable range (I did this with GNR, and it works). I also agree with doc, try posting your scales.

Are you Russian too? That's cool! :) Здесь можно говорить по-русски? :)

LZ is not easy to sing, indeed. And it's not about high register, I agree. I just having fun with it :) And yeah, my pitch is not good. I just try to work and concentrate on the technique, rather than on my pitch. I will try to record scales.
  • Raphael_HusslRaphael_Hussl 2.0 PRO Posts: 159
    @Whitesnake I agree to what Doc and Lana said. One more thing I can recommend to you at this point, if you want to approach this song, is to pay attention to the single phrases and the timing of the phrases. For example to listen closely to each individual phrase from the original version and afterwards try to sing it in your own comfortable range and in the exact right timing related to the backing track. This will help you to remember the structure of the song and also to be better in timing. I think your pitch was not all that bad and that it probably will also get better if you do this. I have more the impression that with the individual phrases you were not fast enough with singing and therefore your timing was off sometimes and also some flat notes could be related to this because this way you also lose more air and energy than you actually would need to sing the song if you were more focused on each phrase. I think for your next short term goal you could manage to sing this song well in the same range you were doing here by paying attention to and working the individual phrases. If you have the possibility to change the pitch and tempo of the backing track, for example slowing it down or making it lower then this could be a very useful option for practicing the song (practicing, not necessarily performing it). For example with the free audio software Audacity you can do this pretty easily in case you don't have it already. I think at the current stage you have the potential to sing a good baritone version of the song. For long term if you really want to improve your voice then with posting your scales like Doc said you will be on the right path. We Pro Members at KTVA also get all the information that is necessary so that with a lot of training and dedication it is also possible to improve the tone quality and range of the voice.
    @Raphael_Hussl Thank you for your detailed analysis! That's what I needed!