Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Warming up and practicing

Hello,

I sing every evening, 5 days a week and do the warming up almost every same time. I drive for my work sometimes on the day and do the warming ups also in the car. In the evening before singing, I repeat the warming ups again. Can that be a danger for my voice, that I also do the warming ups on the day? I always start (within 15- 30 minutes) with the lipp roll and tong exercise in the car. I have read the article warming up in the car in the handout for volume 1.

Thank you for the reaction!

Greets Arjen

Comments

• VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    @arjendekker

Warming up depends on how long your gonna sing for, if it’s a long set 1 hour warm up is best, if it’s just a couple songs maybe 15 minutes. Of course doing it in the car and sitting down reduces diaphragmatic support by 30%. Best if you can do those warm ups standing up, it’s not always easy to find place to do it.

Vocality
  • Klaus_TKlaus_T Moderator, 2.0 PRO Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2019
    Hi Arjen, not sure if I get it right, are you doing the whole set of exercises twice per day, or do you mean the lip roll and tongue exercise when you say "warm-up? what do you mean by "within 15-30 minutes"?

how long have you been doing KTVA for? is this Vol 1? if so, I think even if you do the whole thing twice a day, that's nothing to worry about unless your voice feels like it gets tired or hoarse. i heard volume 2 and upwards are more demanding. if you do Vol 1 gently I would not be too worried.
  • arjendekkerarjendekker 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    I do the exercises of volume 1 twice a day. Right now I only do the warming ups in the evening, before singing. Is it nessesary to do the warming ups twice a day, when you sing for one hour a day for example?
  • WigsWigs Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 5,042
    I always prefer to warm up with scales before singing. The idea is just to get your voice ready to perform, if you don't have time for scales or lip rolls ect then choose a easy soft song and do it lightly to get a warm up.

I think you are saying you do the scales during the day, there is a break of some amount of time before you get home to sing? If this is correct by the time you get home you are no longer warmed up, there is an ideal period of about 15-30min before your voice begins to cool down.

I wouldn't think there is any danger doing the warm ups more than once unless of course it's done incorrectly.